Senior Technical Artist
Lab42 is a best in class cross-platform game developer based in the UK. Now in our fifth-year, our headcount has grown to nearly 40 experienced people supported by a veteran management team with backgrounds from Activision, Codemasters and EA.
With an exceptional engineering team who bring experience of working directly on dozens of titles across a range of platforms, we are ideally set up to take on the responsibility of full SKU development, adaptations & ports from platform to platform and focused co-development where our adaptable production techniques and processes enable us to dovetail with our partners.
We hold the official license for World Snooker and internally developed the photo-realistic, sports/simulation Snooker19, the first in an ongoing game franchise, for all major Consoles and PC. That’s in addition to providing a range of development services and special projects to a growing client list which features Paradox, Sega, Klei Entertainment, Aspyr, Magmic, Ripstone and WayForward.
It’s an exciting time to be part of the Sumo family, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Lab42 is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Lab42
Lab42 Games are looking to recruit a Senior Technical Artist to collaborate in a team to find technical solutions to fulfil the artistic vision of our projects. A successful candidate will be working to define and meet in-game asset budgets, optimise all the art-related elements of a game, and proactively use their knowledge and experience to solve problems before they affect the development team, all while working on a range of highly regarded IPs and external partners on many different platforms.
What is the job?
- Collaborate with the team on technical solutions to deliver the art vision and drive the visual fidelity of the game
- Help define and meet in-game asset budgets and optimise levels, meshes, materials, lighting, post-processes and VFX
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify & solve problems before they affect the development team
- Communicate effectively between art and code, providing guidelines, best practices, and documentation for workflows etc.
What must you have?
- 5 years’ experience (Multiple shipped titles)
- Expert-level with coding and documenting user-facing tools for art creation and workflow (Excellent UI and error handling)
- Fluency in C++ or C#
- Experience developing pipelines for proprietary engines across multiple shipped titles
- Adept in balancing aesthetic needs and optimisation and able to foresee conflicts in advance
- Good proficiency in working "under the hood" with digital art content creation tools such as Maya, 3DS Max Photoshop, Substance, etc.
- Knowledge of rigging, shaders, and VFX
- Understanding of artistic principles (scale/proportion, lighting, composition)
- Excellent complex problem-solving and communication skills across both artistic and technical disciplines
- Some experience of UE4 or Unity
It would be great if you had…
- Experience with Git (or other version control systems)
- Good working knowledge of UE4 or Unity
- Familiarity of working in an Agile environment
Why should you work at Lab42?
Lab42 was formed 5 years ago with just one developer, and we have grown organically to 40 staff over the last five years. Now part of the Sumo Group we’re based in the heart of Royal Leamington Spa; a thriving town with a bustling game-development scene
We are a small, dedicated bunch with experience, drive, passion and creativity. Lab42 has a flexible working environment that make this a relaxed and friendly place to work. By prioritising the happiness and wellbeing of our staff we have been able to hire many industry veterans, and we are proud to have one of the lowest rates of staff attrition in game development.
To apply for this role please include your current CV and any relevant portfolio content where relevant. You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this role.