Senior Technical Artist
Sledgehammer Games, award winning developer of several titles in the Call of Duty franchise, is looking for talented developers to join us as founding members of our new Toronto team. This group will partner with our global teams in Foster City, California and Melbourne, Victoria in the creation of epic content for some of the biggest games in the world. This is an opportunity to help grow and shape a AAA team from the ground up, adding new skills to your armory while gaining the unique satisfaction that only comes from building something brand new. Join us on our quest to maintain and improve a healthy and inspiring studio culture!
The studio is navigating their 2nd decade of game development, focused on constant evolution, innovation and qualified risk-taking – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class content production and engineering teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for talented game developers for our exciting new projects.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision.
As a Principal Technical Artist, will provide support building and delivering key technologies and workflows that enable artists and designers to quickly implement visual content into our games. The ideal candidate will have a strong eye for art quality and knowledge of real-time requirements and constraints. He or she will act as a bridge between art and engineering demonstrating superior communication skills to facilitate problem solving between departments while adding new ideas, new techniques and working with the latest technologies to create world-class games.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Identifies and executes solutions to pipeline and technical inefficiencies within the studio
- Collaborate with other discipline leads to improve studio tools
- Establish consistent and optimal best practices
- Proactively identify problems, propose solutions and seek out buy-in regarding implementation strategy
- Demonstrate Leadership by mentoring junior and senior Technical Artist on team
- Great communication skills to communicate with both technical and non-technical cross-functional team members and stakeholders
- Self-starter who is able to identify and drive the priorities of team and work with production to buildout a roadmap
- Advanced understanding of one or more commercially available real-time engines (e.g. UE4, Unity, CryEngine).
- Artistic eye with advanced understanding of the creation & integration of 3D art
- Advanced understanding of modern DCC tools
- Shipped at least 2 AAA titles from start to finish on multiple platforms (e.g. PS4, Xbox-One.)
- Excellent communication skills, especially with regards to illustrating technical processes.
- Proficiency with Python, HLSL,GLSL
- Experience working as a lead
- C++ experience or Computer Science degree
- Extensive portfolio with examples of professional work (e.g. art, scripts, tools, simulations, etc.)
- Blueprint or asset scripting abilities
- Has managed and mentored a team
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.