Strategic Finance Associate
Today, people spend more time playing video games than they do playing all physical sports, and eSports are poised to become bigger than the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL combined. Skillz provides the technology that powers an eSports industry forecast to exceed as much as $40 billion in revenue by 2020.
As the eSports provider for over 8,000 game developers, Skillz enables any mobile game to be turned into a competitive eSport that can also be broadcast on major streaming sites like Twitch and YouTube. We do this by integrating our unique layer of code directly into a mobile app, which activates our end-to-end tournament administration and other important features like player matching, anti-cheating mechanisms, customer support and a built-in loyalty program. Using our patented technology stack, we’ve already hosted more than 500 million tournaments for 15 million players around the world.
Skillz has raised over $53 million in funding from sources including Telstra, Liberty Global, and the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets and Sacramento Kings. In our quest to make gaming better for players and developers, we’re looking for savvy, driven and enthusiastic teammates to help us build the future of sports. If you’re excited about defining a multibillion dollar industry, building an awesome product, or working with cutting-edge technology, Skillz just might be for you!
We are true believers in electronic sports, so don’t be surprised if you see us playing mobile games at our desks or in the kitchen. At Skillz, this type of behavior is encouraged! You can also catch us at our weekly game nights playing anything from Super Mario Kart to Codenames over dinner, while discussing new technologies or brainstorming ideas to improve our business.
Not a “gamer”? Don’t worry about it. Every Skillzian brings a unique perspective to the team, and we bond over plenty of activities that don’t involve games. We’re working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission. As the creators and leaders of a new marketplace, we work with a “do whatever it takes” mentality, and frankly, we get the job done!
Our team is comprised of passionate, intelligent and creative individuals who consistently seek out new challenges and knowledge. We embrace out-of-the-box strategies to propel our business forward, and foster a culture where every person’s voice is heard. Our team comes from diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of funding and building successful enterprises. If you're up for the challenge, we’d love to meet you.
Who we’re looking for:
You’ve previously founded a company or would like to one day. You recognize that finance and operations are the backbone of a successful startup and are excited to optimize an entire company by strengthening its infrastructure. You’re equally capable of building and running scalable business processes as you are at constructing complex financial models. You are an adept presenter, having built and delivered C-Suite or investor presentations.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Define, launch, and own strategic and operational initiatives including departmental budgeting, financial planning, and corporate strategy
- Own operational financial planning, reporting and analysis
- Lead projects on growth strategy, business performance and operational excellence
- Manage corporate service providers including outside legal counsel, corporate accountants, and vendors
- Structure and execute strategic initiatives by developing work plans, gathering and synthesizing relevant data, leading analyses and developing final recommendations
- Interface regularly with the company's executive leadership, while supporting the company’s regular interactions with the investor community and board of directors
- Optimize corporate operations across the company’s multiple offices and departments
- Analyze industry trends, competitive threats and market growth opportunities
- Communicate findings to senior management and to the broader organization
- Review partnership agreements and contracts and support complex strategic negotiations
- Strong problem-solving and analysis skills, combined with solid understanding of business strategies and drivers
- Experience managing teams and leading operational and strategic initiatives
- Highly organized, with very strong time & program management skills
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and learn on the fly
- Self-directed and motivated
- Top-tier strategy consulting experience or work in investment banking, private equity or a comparable corporate strategy group of a technology company
- Expertise in Excel and PowerPoint
- BA/BS degree
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.