Senior Game Designer
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
Skillz is pioneering the competitive mobile gaming experience, leveraging its patented technology to power over two billion esports tournaments a year. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports leagues and franchises.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What you'll do:
- Work alongside a cross-functional team (composed of other game designers, external game studios, project managers, account executives, analysts and account managers) to help source and design incredible games to grow the world's first mobile competition-as-a-service platform.
- Have a strong hand in evolving the game design strategy at Skillz and work with top studios to help design, implement and launch world-class games on the Skillz platform.
- Participate in sales and proposal presentations with account executives in addition to helping the account managers identify additional upsell opportunities.
- 5+ years of game design experience in software, including at least 3 years of mobile game design and/or production experience. Strong preference for live service experience.
- Skilled at guiding the product development process: ideation, wireframing, design and implementation.
- Able to collate idea streams from across all stakeholders to drive future design.
- Must be a seasoned and polished professional to be able to work with Company Executives (internal and external).
- Systems design experience, including scoring systems, multiplayer competition, procedurally generated content, and equivalent game design tasks.
- Strong analytical bent, ideally, experience working closely with product managers to optimize live services in areas such as first time user experience, live service event optimization, and d1/d7/d30/d180 retention.
- Multitasking skills and comfort with managing numerous design projects in parallel.
- Experience designing for eSports or competitive multiplayer games is a major plus.
- Experience with 3rd party development is a plus.
- Experience as a game producer is also a plus.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.