Head of Communications
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50(for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partnersto the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
What We’re Looking For
Skillz is looking for a world-class PR and communications leader who will work closely with our CEO and executive team to drive strategy and results. This proactive, collaborative individual should be a creative and innovative storyteller who will explore both new and established approaches to achieve our goals. The role will oversee all communications efforts, including media relations, financial communications, thought leadership, original content, social media and events. The ideal candidate will have experience driving measurable results in a fast-paced environment and demonstrated success building, scaling, and managing teams. IPO experience (and time at both private and public companies) is also a big plus. It's critical for the VP to establish credibility at the executive level and be well-versed in championing consensus and approval for cross-functional efforts.
What You Will Do
- Develop and lead our overall communications strategy ensuring it is aligned with company leadership and overall business strategy
- Partner closely with senior members of the Communications team to develop engaging narratives about Skillz and its products, including the contributions the company makes to society, its meteoric growth, and what makes it a best place to work
- Attract, retain, and cultivate a world-class Communications team
- Lead a robust media relations function, delivering exceptional results that effectively position Skillz – maintaining strong working relationships with business, financial, technology, consumer, and trade media
- Leverage both earned and owned channels to ensure that Skillz is valued appropriately in the eyes of customers, partners, employees, investors, the media, and influencers as an industry leader
- Optimize and advance the strategy and voice for CEO and executive communications, including speaking engagements, media interviews, and internal communications
- Consult and advise executives and the Board on communications matters
- Senior communications executive with at least 15+ years of work experience leading and scaling communications teams in fast-paced, high-growth business and technology environments
- Foundational experience in journalism and media relations is desirable, as is the combination of PR agency and in-house leadership roles
- A deep understanding of the startup-to-public technology company journey and culture, and the challenges of evolving a narrative to keep pace with that change
- Experience with crisis communications and change management, and ability to maintain calm under fire
- 10+ years of people management experience, with the demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and retain top talent
- An intuitive and effective team leader, manager, and mentor, who is capable of growing senior communications leaders and junior team members alike
- Proven ability to run and deliver results on large-scale, complex projects under tight deadlines through rigorous planning and ruthless prioritization
- Business development mindset where communications directly contributes to business objectives
- Exceptional writer and dynamic speaker with experience serving as spokesperson
- Entrepreneurial and a hands-on style with a strong bias for action and results while working effectively in an innovative, unstructured environment that values collaboration without ego
- Operates at a high level of intensity, acting with a sense of urgency without sacrificing excellence