Schell Games is a highly talented group of artists, programmers, producers, and game designers led by game industry veteran Jesse Schell. We're the largest full-service education and entertainment game development company in the United States. Since 2002, we've worked with world-class clients and partners to create interactive experiences that engage and inspire players of all ages across all platforms. Presently, we are focused on virtual reality, augmented reality, location-based experiences, and social games.
Do you like to work on innovative projects in a motivating, friendly atmosphere? Would you agree that games can engage and inspire?
If you answered "YES!" to both questions, you might be a fit for our studio!
UI/UX GAME ARTIST POSITION
We are seeking a talented UI/UX Artist to work on projects ranging from online worlds and handheld games to themed interactive attractions. Team experience is essential, as is the ability to be self-directed and be able to prioritize workloads efficiently.
Our ideal candidate will have the ability to handle both technical and artistic issues during game development, as well as be able to work quickly in a team atmosphere with schedules and reliable milestone delivery. Passion for precise and usable interface design and the ability to reach a wide range of styles within the media are crucial.
This candidate should have previous experience working within Photoshop, Illustrator and game engines to create fully functioning and navigable game UI and menu systems. Applicant is expected to have the ability to work with designers and game engineers to both communicate and implement these systems in-game.
Expectations of Advanced Level Role:
- You consistently seek out best practices from experts within and outside of the studio and incorporate them into your work. Your craft skills allow you to deliver on the team's vision. You clearly understand how your work affects your colleagues and the experience you are building. Although you are still learning how to be an expert, your teams benefit greatly from your growing expertise.
- You communicate effectively with colleagues and clients. You build relationships, communication channels, and efficiency within your team. You seek feedback, and address it consistently and effectively.
- You excel in your project role. You advocate on behalf of the guest and understand how that translates to project goals and constraints. You're comfortable working within our development methodologies and explore different ways to make your team more effective.
- Others look to you to help make decisions on the team. You are able to constructively work through conflict with members of your team.
- Previous industry experience equivalent to 4+ years in UI/UX design for game titles or applications
- Portfolio of work must be available for review, including process and UI wireframes
- Demonstrate competency in UI implementation in at least one game engine (Unity or Unreal preferred)
- UMG or Canvas based approaches to UI implementation should be represented
- Display excellent communication skills, both verbal and visual (flowcharts, experience beats vis storyboard, etc)
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Flexibility with adoption of art styles and direction is critical
- Ability to be self-directed and work across both Design and Art (report to both Design and Art Directors)
- Concept art foundational skills
- Previous work with VR applications/Products
- Previous work with Location Based Experiences/Products
Educational Background Needed:
- BS/BA/BFA degree in graphic design, fine arts, visual communication, HCI, or similar
Our studio is committed to providing an equitable and inclusive work environment that ensures that all applicants and team members are treated with dignity and respect. We will not tolerate any type of discrimination or harassment directed at any applicant or employee because of their gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, veteran, family or parental status or any other protected group characteristic. This equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Prohibiting discrimination and harassment is only one part of the equation. “Diversity makes us strong” is more than just something we say. We value diversity in all forms because it is essential to our success, and we want every member of our team to feel their best creative self. Our development environment and social culture are based on welcoming, respecting, and celebrating differences among our team members and our players. We rely on each person to add their own unique skills and perspective to our culture. Every member of our team is responsible for making the studio as inclusive and equitable as possible.
Return to the studio's home page.
Candidate selected for this position will be subject to standard employment verification and criminal background check upon offer of contingent employment.