Sr Combat Designer
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
We are seeking an experienced Sr Combat Designer for the development of a new unannounced title!
The Sr Combat Designer will assist, collaborate with, and take direction from the Lead Combat Designer and Game Director as needed on any the following: character and boss designs from concept to implementation completion, including character animation implementation and tuning, environmental character impact, special effects, sound effects, AI gameplay scenario layout and gameplay tuning, controller configuration, gameplay features, magic distribution, character balance and ramping.
- Work within the set standard for all character asset design, creation and in-game implementation within the production path as it relates to design, art and otherwise.
- Participate in required production related meetings and functions as needed. Attend and participate in combat-specific discussions concerning combat design and combat design issues.
- Must comprehend a working knowledge of the game production pipeline in order to communicate effectively with other team members.
- Must understand the relationship between gameplay elements within the level and the overall game and all of the ways the player can respond to each gameplay element.
- Experience using a text-based scripting language to set-up character logic.
- Basic knowledge of scripting languages and code (e.g., XML, C++, PERL) is preferred but not required.
- Must be able to grasp and work with code-based proprietary tools to implement and troubleshoot assigned characters.
- Must have knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of video game fun.
- Must possess quality written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts.
- Ability to think logically with a strong level of attention to detail.
- Must be able to professionally communicate and work with other members of the game production team (both internally and externally).
- Must have excellent communication while still keeping the overall vision of the game in mind.
- 4 plus years in game development, with at least 2 years in Combat or Character Design (creative and technical) specific role.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.