Lead Character Technical Artist
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
Animator and programmer, or programmer and character artist – which are you? No matter; you bridge tech and character. You understand the creative process, you have an artistic sensibility, and an eye for animation. And you can rig. Above all you collaborate with character artists and animators to deliver the highest quality vision of the game.
Talent, initiative, collaboration – bring them all. We are a large team that fundamentally works together across all disciplines. Sound interesting? Give us a shout!
- Mentor and guide character technical artists and animators in areas of expertise; instill best practices
- Partner with leads and directors to meet visual and technical standards
- Research, define, extend, and maintain production pipelines, processes, and workflows
- Collaborate with character artists and animators
- Identify problems; solve them by inventing or building robust technical implementations
- Create and maintain animation rigs and tools
- Engage in broader game production challenges as they relate to combat design, animation, and character art
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Graphic Art, or a related field
- Minimum five years of professional experience in computer-generated art
- Intimate knowledge of Maya and strong understanding of Maya’s rigging tools
- Expertise in Python and/or C++ – specifically as it applies to programming in Maya (MEL and API)
- Ability to pioneer practical production-oriented rig systems and workflows
- Well-versed in human and animal anatomy
- A keen eye for correct form throughout a wide range of movement
- Proficient with polygon modeling and topology adjustments related to character deformations
- Deep knowledge of animator workflows
- Ability to apply linear algebra to solve rigging and animation problems
- Working knowledge of shaders, specifically as they relate to animation
- Enthusiasm and initiative
- Excellent spoken and written communication
- Able and motivated to work with other team members
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.