Performance Media Buyer, Programmatic
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Performance Media Buyer, Programmatic
San Mateo, CA
SIE is rethinking Digital Marketing, launching an in-house digital media buying team and building an outstanding data foundation. This team will be entrepreneurial at its core: laying the foundation of a new internal marketing function while growing and evolving to meet the needs of PlayStation’s businesses.
The person in this role will drive end-to-end campaign management of programmatic activity, including campaign implementation, tag creation, handling budget and pacing as well as reporting. Over time the team will buy the majority of programmatic, search and social media that drives direct value for Sony PlayStation globally. The role will initially focus primarily on programmatic media (including YouTube), although there will be scope to expand to other channels such as search and social. The ideal candidate will have a strong programmatic background as well as additional experience across other biddable channels, a strong collaborator across various teams, as well as the problem-solving attitude required when systematically building a programmatic team.
Campaign Planning: You will team up with the media planning teams to translate media strategies into programmatic campaigns which improve the platform features and our first party audiences. You will plan across PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Direct, and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios.
Campaign Setup and QA: Conduct the campaign build, ensuring standard methodologies are followed across the board as well the QA checks, ensuring all campaigns run successfully. The buyer will need to work with internal and external teams to make certain that 1st party audiences are available and implemented accurately for each campaign. They will act as the primary point of contact with other teams to ensure ad ops, billing and relevant documentation is all processed accurately.
Campaign Management and Optimizations: Accountable for the day-to-day optimizations of campaigns. Supervising campaign performance, pacing and troubleshooting. Responsible for the maintenance of the optimization logs and keep all relevant teams updated with the performance of your campaigns.
Analytics and Reporting: Build weekly and post-campaign performance reports for the global Media Team, which will provide analysis, insights, and some visualization. You will also collaborate with the Marketing Technology team and use data analytics to ensure all testing initiatives are set-up and measured appropriately so valuable creative and media insights can be gathered by end of test/campaign.
Billing Responsibility: Responsible for billing and actualization across all programmatic campaigns, ensure campaigns are tracking to budget.
People Management: Actively mentor programmatic team members and provide guidance, QA support, etc., across job functions mentioned above. You will delegate and prioritize tasks accordingly and drive the day-to-day responsibilities of the team.
New opportunities: Work with our partners to identify new opportunities for our activity and add them to our test and learn roadmap. You will implement tests, ensure their smooth delivery and report learnings back to the wider business. As a new team, you will play a crucial role in determining future channels and tactics used across the team.
- Bachelor's degree, MBA and/or equivalent experience preferred
- 4 - 6 years of experience in media planning and/or media activation, with hands-on executional experience with planning and running large-scale programmatic activity across
- Extensive knowledge in DV360, Google Ads and Adobe Omniture
- In-depth knowledge of media planning fundamentals e.g. reach, frequency, formats, measurement etc.
- Proven track record handling high campaign volume, large budgets, complex strategies across multiple channels and driving quantifiable results
- Advanced experience in working with Excel (e.g. Pivot Tables, Pivot Graph, Data Table, etc.)
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit – this is a team being built from the ground up, requiring someone eager to dive into the new challenges & rewards that will come with joining Sony PlayStation’s in-house media buying function from the beginning.
- Cross-channel media strategy: the skills to connect programmatic, search and social media plans to larger Sony Media objectives
- Knowledge of biddable channels beyond programmatic, including search and social
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and maintain strong attention to detail
- Work well under pressure with short deadlines across multiple teams with fragmented, vertical priorities
- Ability to spot problems before they arise, and constantly looking for ways to improve ways of working
- Articulate complex technology-related issues and educating ranges of audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to partner with cross-function teams
- Self-starter with passion, energy, enthusiasm to get results and affect meaningful change
- Strong interest in video games and entertainment
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.