Manager, Data Engineering
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Manager, Data Engineering
San Diego, CA (Rancho Bernardo)
Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking for a Data Engineering Manager to become part of IT Applications organization, that runs a wide array of enterprise applications globally. Ideal candidate will have a strong desire to build both in-depth technical skills and an ability to develop outstanding client-facing skills. The individual will lead data analytics and automation projects within SIE IT. The role will primarily focus on leading the data engineering team and finding opportunities for business growth through analysis of complex data sets and presenting forward-looking insights.
- Hands-on manager who will handle performance of team members to ensure alignment of objectives, behaviors and results, consistent with business and IT expectations.
- Mentor team on strategic analyses & career growth and be a talent magnet that retains and attracts top talent.
- Work with leadership to develop and implement an analytics & integration strategy to improve application experience and efficiency.
- Gain a deep understanding of underlying department strategies and value drivers through working closely with business leaders. Develop, measure, and report on Key Performance Indicators for major initiatives.
- Drive data proficiency throughout the org by crafting standardized metrics, intuitive dashboards, and compelling business insights.
- Proactively identify business challenges and opportunities, and work with business leaders to find strategic solutions using data engineering solutions.
- Assist in the preparation of presentations to executives and department leads with meaningful insights and recommendations to influence key decision making. Tell stories and create visualizations to tie data to business strategy and direction.
- Drive automation and simplification of processes to reduce error rates, optimize resources and increase return on investment.
- Lead end-to-end project delivery and teams aimed at identifying, analyzing, developing and implemented business intelligence metrics.
- Flexible approach to working hours to support global business operations. Open to domestic or international travel (as the need arises).
- Bachelor's in computer science, mathematics, or equivalent experience.
- 12+ years of Information Technology or Software Development experience.
- Proven track record using SQL to query and analyze data.
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Ruby, Java, etc.)
- Experience building required infrastructure for efficient extraction, transformation and loading of data from various data sources.
- Experience with security standards like symmetric and asymmetric encryption, virtual private clouds, IP management, LDAP authentication, and other methods.
- Extensive experience working with AWS technologies.
- Experience with application integration platform systems.
- Solid grasp of BI reporting platform like Tableau, Power BI etc.
- Demonstrable experience in building, growing and leading a high-performance engineering team.
- Experience driving impact through multi-functional leadership and working with distributed teams across multiple time-zones.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with agile development methodologies and processes
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a good attention to detail. Solutions oriented with proven decision making and problem-solving skills.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.