We’re a 28-person Google-owned experiential VR game company looking to grow our Owls (employees!) and would love a detail-oriented and self-motivated person to join us!
Owls in this remote position prototype, develop, and release code to bring Owlchemy’s ideas to life.
At Owlchemy Labs our Owls enjoy such benefits as actual work/life balance, personal growth, and learning opportunities. We also have some really cool company events that are indicative of our culture such as HappyOwler and Lego Build Parties!
- Implement shaders, graphic systems, and visual tools based on direction from Design and Art teams including task owner
- Develop and test code, fix bugs, and profile to optimize code as directed
- Follow engineering best practices, development processes, and coding standards
- Seek feedback on owned tasks, including via playtests, and embrace iteration
- Work with production to provide estimates, updates on progress, and potential setbacks
- Collaborate with owls like QA, Art, Audio, Design, and Writing to meet task goals and determine code requirements
- Keep up to date on the latest in development practices for Unity and VR
- Create tools to assist production
- Assist with optimization, especially of graphics-related issues, utilizing profiling tools and coding best practices
- Evaluate new hardware and assist with R&D efforts
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication
- C#, HLSL, and C++
- Deep Unity Programing Expertise (C#)
- Cross programming expertise (C++, Java, Python, etc.)
- Deep graphics optimization expertise (HL, SL, and RenderDoc)
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 4+ years of programming experience
- Good understanding of all other disciplines in game development
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent
- 6 years experience
- Appreciation of puns (or at least the ability to groan at them)
- Owls must be able to use virtual reality headsets but are not expected to own one.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a remote full-time, 40-hours per week position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For Owls working outside of the Austin, TX area, travel to Austin may be required 4 to 6 times per year. Additionally, we typically encourage owls to attend a conference annually for personal growth and development.
We care about creating “VR for Everyone” - and that includes creating a welcoming workplace for everyone.
Owlchemy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Other Skills and Responsibilities:
This job description doesn’t cover or contain a comprehensive listing of everything you might do at Owlchemy. As a small team of wildly talented individuals, we encourage career growth, exploration, and the wearing of many hats. As such, roles and responsibilities are collaborative and may change or evolve over time based on our needs and your particular skill set.
- 15 days of vacation to start
- Unlimited sick days
- School loan repayment assistance
- New parent benefits
- Health Care
- Retirement Plan
- Relocation Assistance (should you want to move to Austin, TX!)