Senior Game Systems Designer
Odyssey Interactive is a Canadian Game Development studio formed around the mantra of building "Games you Live". We believe that the best games are the ones you think about long after you put them down, that help you feel like you're a part of something bigger than yourself, and that you believe you can invest in for years to come.
We're on a mission to build games with the same emotional potential as the games we fell in love with growing up, but designing them with a mobile first mindset. We believe the next generation of gamers is going to be the most connected, the most diverse, and the most relentlessly driven generation this world has ever seen - and for them phones aren't just a tool, they're an extension of their body. We believe they deserve the same quality of games that we fell in love with so many years ago.
The founding team is comprised of 4 former leads from Riot Games where we led teams such as a the League of Legends Balance Team, the League of Legends Champion Design team, and the development of Teamfight Tactics - and are excited to try to build a highly innovative, played obsessed studio with an awesome team...a team that you could be a part of!
Have you spent the majority of your life immersed in games, picking them apart and identifying why they spoke to you so soundly? Do you have a hard drive full of PvP games that you’ve played over the years, and a bottomless pit of memories you can recall playing games with your friends? If you have been a part of teams that have shipped titles and helping build player communities well then you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for! We're on the hunt for a designer capable of flexing into all facets of design, from content creation to meta progression, and loves figuring out how it all ties together to create the experiences that have kept you saying “just one more” over the years.
- Collaborate on pitches for games, content, and features that align with making “Games you Live”.
- Work with other designers, artists, engineers, to build prototypes to quickly validate project hypotheses.
- Iterate on initial designs based on feedback from the team and fully own the areas you’re responsible for.
- Responsible for the quality of your work outputs, including bug fixing, balancing etc.
- Manage multiple design projects in parallel (character design, meta game progression, UX design etc.
- Shipped at least 2 titles as part of a cross disciplinary team
- Design flexibility conducive to working on all facets of a game
- Effective communicator who can drive a vision in the absence of art or data to validate an idea
- Capable of giving and receiving critical feedback to other creatives in service of making the best game for our players
- Great critical thinker who can draw on a wealth of knowledge and examples from games you’ve played or built over the years
Teamwork and other Qualifications:
- Effective working autonomously, we want you to feel comfortable allocating your time wisely and making good on your commitments
- Strong analytical skills that aid in understanding and articulating what makes games great
- Solid team player. We want people who are excited to be part of a small, tight-knit team focused on delivering awesome experiences to players
- Genuine ambition and excitement to rise to the challenges
- A passion and love for games
- Willing to relocate to Ontario, Canada
Nice to Have:
- Experience with a modern game engine (Unreal/Unity).
- Experience developing mobile games.
- Dental/Vision/Pharmacare coverage. Canada has universal health care, so you and your family don't need to worry about health insurance.
- Open paid-time-off policy with 2 week minimum enforced by the company. We trust you to take time off when you need it.
- Competitive salaries (benchmarked to Canada) that value your experience and dedication.
- Stock options in an early stage startup. We want you to be motivated to stick with us for the long haul.
- Annual game stipend. We can all learn so much from new games coming out.
- Relocation assistance, and immigration where applicable.