Lead Creature Artist
Who We Are
We're ArenaNet—we've created a studio that builds online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. We're not the only ones who share this passion; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best games of all time.
Who You Are
We are looking for a talented Lead Creature Artist that shares our passion for creating worlds and the creatures that fill them. This position will be leading a team of internal and outsourced creature art, and will be the driving force in shaping and maintaining the quality of the creatures in addition to creating bar setting content.
- Work with Art Director to drive and maintain high visual quality of creature models
- Lead the Creature art team by establishing and maintaining use of best practices and standards
- Create stylized, appealing, efficient, creature models
- Direct and mentor the internal and external creature teams through verbal and written feedback
- Communicate the visual design and development of the creatures through art specifications, style guides and reference material
- Provide inspiration to the team through verbal communication, bar setting work, and reference material collection
- Manage, direct and drive outsourcing initiatives for the creature team as necessary
- Drive team growth regarding adopting new relevant tools, techniques and programs.
- At least 4 years of creature art experience in the games industry
- Previous lead experience on a shipped title within a game production environment
- Ability to create stylized creatures based on gameplay prompts and limited concept support
- Strong concept design skills with an eye for shape language and silhouette readability
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Strong traditional and digital art skills
- Actively collaborates with other artists, designers, and programmers to solve schedule and technical problems
- Experience with: Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, Substance Suite, Perforce
- A critical eye, self-awareness, interest in taking and giving critiques, and a desire to produce work at the highest levels of AAA quality and game performance
- A Passion for teamwork and improving communication
This is a full-time, on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work. Please include links to your current portfolio when applying.