Lead UX Engineer (Client) - Star Wars IP
Position at NaturalMotion
NaturalMotion’s Action Strategy Group (ASG) is a BAFTA-nominated team developing an exciting new Star Wars™ game, running live operations on Dawn of Titans, and developing a third unannounced game, all from our London studio.
We are a tight-knit team, with a sociable culture and a strong team identity whilst being able to experience all the benefits that come from being part of NaturalMotion and Zynga. The team crafts world-leading, mid-core games on a foundation of trust and camaraderie.
In 2018 & 2019, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
We are looking for a Lead UX Engineer, at senior or principal level, who excels at cooperatively driving an engineering team forward and finding solutions to complex both UX and general engineering problems. Someone who embraces the opportunity to bring other people's ideas to life, and who proactively contributes ideas and solutions of their own. We have small and agile teams, so you will thrive working in these environments as we grow.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- You will lead the UX and general engineering team on one of our Star Wars games
- You will both oversee and create UX and other code systems
- You will mentor other members of the engineering team and encourage them to follow good engineering practices
- You will iterate on UX and gameplay systems to improve the player experience
- Collaborating with multiple disciplines, you will find technical solutions and approaches catering to each project’s particular needs
- The software you and your team write will be well-designed, adaptable, and testable, for long-term use
- You will help to improve the code team’s knowledge and experience through sharing your experience
Required Experience & Skills
- You have developed and released multiple games, with one or more games in Unreal and C++ in a lead capacity
- Having taken titles from pre-production to release, you have experience of every step involved in getting a game shipped
- You have experience managing an engineering team through the lifecycle of game development and the lifecycle of the team’s career development
- You are comfortable understanding and debugging unfamiliar code in a large project
- You have created data driven systems
- You have worked with other disciplines to architect and implement features and systems
- You have a strong and comprehensive understanding of coding UI and UX features
- You are familiar with design patterns, memory/performance optimisation, and knowledge sharing
Desirable Experience & Skills
- Do you have experience working on strategy and action games?
- Have you shipped one or more mobile titles?
- Are you experienced working with tools development?
- Have you shipped titles across multiple-platforms?
- Are you familiar with the particular challenges of developing and running a live game?
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.