UI Software Engineer
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
At Maxis, we thrive on outrageous thinking.
It’s the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We’re creators and great storytellers. Our mission is not just about amazing our peers – it’s about amazing our fans. Taking risks, collaborating with each other and daring to dream big. Together, we can improve the way millions play every day.
As a Software Engineer on The Sims, your job will be to architect, implement, and maintain user-facing content for the Sims using Python and C++.
- Implementing gameplay systems written in Python and C++ that are data-driven:
- Sim behaviors: interaction with the world, other Sims, and objects (how would a Flirty Sim behave differently on a pool club versus a bar).
- Ability to build creative real-life archetypes within a simulation game (e.g. romance, careers, postures).
- Runtime optimization for performance and memory usage (scaling a simulation engine to include all aspects of human life).
- Work with the team on continuous improvement of the data-driven framework that brings designs to life.
- Write software requirements and technical design documentation.
- Work with franchise leaders to continue building unique content for a game that delivers to a large demographic of simulation player patterns.
- Excellent game systems programming skills. Demonstrate technical abilities with projects implemented in C++, Python, C#, Java.
- Experience with working in Python encouraged.
- Experience with Windows platform and development tools (Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc.)
- Experience writing real-time simulation, high-performance game code.
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in Computer Science or relevant field.
- 3-5 years of experience in a hands-on development role.
- Demonstrate past experience in working in large data-driven games or applications.
- Demonstrable experience developing live products at a large scale.
- Previous engineering leadership experience over a major system.
- Experience in using static and performance analysis tools, automated testing, unit testing, and configuration management processes.
Team and Collaboration Requirements:
- Ability to work well as part of a creative multi-disciplinary team (work with animators, modelers, visual effect, and audio effect artists).
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills under iteratively changing requirements during development.
- Strong oral communication and collaboration skills to work with non-engineering disciplines.
About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.