Principal Software Engineer, Unreal
As a Senior or Principal Software Engineer in the Distributed Game Engine team, you will leverage your knowledge of the Unreal Engine to empower our customers to iterate faster on building larger, more complex, and more innovative games.
You will work directly to expand the Unreal GDK plugin’s capabilities, workflow, performance, and interoperability. You will expose SpatialOS technology, solving interesting and hard problems with an eye towards crafting a development experience you would want if you were the game developer using this product.
An ideal candidate is someone who has developed extensively with recent versions of Unreal and has a good working knowledge of networked game development. If you are already comfortable dealing with issues like authority, latency, network reliability, and client-side prediction then you can already think in the right space. If you’ve written extensive gameplay code, worked with the AI, and aren’t afraid of touching the engine when a problem demands it, then let’s talk.
Areas of Impact:
- You will take a significant role in the facilitation of the launch of a number of internal game titles being built by Improbable Studios by solving complex technical problems associated with GDK software.
- Your area of focus will transition into working in the multi-server space, addressing architectural and implementation solutions. This may include issues such as authority transitions, entity completeness, view replication, and a wide range of other thorny areas .
- You will use your extensive C++ programming experience to implement custom coding solutions for both internal and external game studio/client needs.
- You will use your C++ skills to work on the Unreal GDK plugin, the integration for spatialOS technology and exposing this to users in the Unreal environment.
- You will help architect solutions for our technology. Our multiserver technology is completely new, that nobody has done before, and you will be required to participate and lead sessions working with teams on ideas and discussing how they could contribute to the overall architecture.
- You will establish technical requirements from creative or design-led pitches with customers, coaxing out there underlying needs to allow the team to create good usage models rather than having them imposed by a single solution.
- Use your extensive experience developing games to co-develop games with partners on top of SpatialOS
- Research potential solutions to technical challenges, taking into account the ongoing evolution of Unreal Engine, and keeping an eye on the industry in the multi-server space.
- Provide support for internal and external game teams
- Help to lead and mentor the engineers around you
We would like to hear from you if you identify with any of the following:
- You identify as a tech lead or Senior Engineer with a generalist C++ programmer background.
- You have a good understanding of network architecture in a multiplayer game context and ideally previously worked on systems that have involved account management, network messaging or any backend server or Client-server.
- Experience or a willingness to contribute to in-depth technical design discussions and be happy to work on whatever problem it is that needs to be solved.
- Strong customer-facing orientation with a good level of communication skills to effectively interact with external teams and stakeholders
- You have knowledge and passion for game development
- A hunger to learn and improve with a methodical and investigative nature
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.