Engineering Manager (Model Engineering), Defence
Your mission is to lead and grow our model engineering function, within the Defence Unit of Improbable
Your teams primary responsibility is to deliver robust, performant, scalable scientific models into production that run in simulation and sit at the heart of customer solution offering. This means building data pipelines to generate accurate representations of real-world environments, and the algorithms for simulating their dynamics. We also build ad-hoc tooling that enables us to develop, test and integrate models faster. We do this on the timescale of days and weeks, not months and years. We are not a Product Development team; we are a customer-facing, solution-focussed Rapid Application Development (RAD) team.
In this role you would be responsible for managing, supporting and growing the Model Engineering team. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager for Customer and Partner Success in London
Areas for Impact
- You will run the day to day operations of the Model Engineering team, including line management and task allocation.
- Developing a team of top-class engineers, contributing to the overall vision, strategic direction and delivery management.
- Growing a team of successful engineers through collaborative development planning, coaching, and empowerment through strategic goals.
- You will work with our Project Management teams to understand customer requirements so that you can develop processes and artefacts that best suit their needs.
- Aligning technical efforts across projects for Model Engineers, ensuring parallel efforts are pulled together.
- You will work alongside our commercial teams to effectively evaluate opportunities from project conception that best suit our needs and those of our customers
- You will collaborate with other EMs and Senior SWEs/Principals to determine the strategic direction and long-term viability of your software architecture, raising and tracking dependencies both from a business and technology standpoint.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You an experienced engineering manager with a clear focus on managing the development and growth of software engineers. You ascribe to the idea of servant-leadership and are motivated by the success of your teams.
- You have led high-performing, happy teams building complex modern software with particular influence over product strategy and delivery.
- You have an excellent track record of delivering robust, performant, scalable scientific models into production that run in simulation
- You consistently bring strong, data-driven business and technical judgment to decisions and clearly communicate trade offs and decisions to your team.
- You are an empathetic communicator who can navigate tricky situations, having tough conversations where necessary, and being objective and structured in your approach to all personnel matters.
- You’re considerate, humble, and a strong believer in teamwork.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.