Are you passionate about designing fun and compelling games? Do you want to innovate on gameplay experiences for hand-crafted, high quality action games?
Combat is at the core of every id Software game, and we are looking for imaginative and knowledgeable Combat Designers to help us make industry-leading gameplay for our future AAA first-person action games. Combat Designers work closely with Game Directors, Leads, and fellow Designers, along with multi-discipline feature teams, to develop tightly balanced, high-quality, first-person combat and compelling gameplay for our upcoming titles.
- Work with Directors, Leads, and Level Designers to execute the vision for the game.
- Design and implement high-quality gameplay within the intended vision for each level.
- Collaborate with Designers and artists to build specific combat spaces for the player and AI to engage in.
- Implement highly polished and memorable gameplay by creating diverse combat encounters that challenge the player's skill.
- Utilize proprietary scripting tools to create and iterate on compelling puzzles and challenges
- Plan and refine the difficulty balance of each combat experience
- Integrate gameplay systems to assist player navigation, such as objectives, points of interest and checkpoints.
- Own the quality of player and AI navigation through the environment.
- Collaborate with Environment Artists to maintain the integrity of the gameplay experience.
- In depth knowledge of recent id games, including DOOM (2016) and DOOM Eternal.
- Experience with any established level editing or engine toolsets (Radiant, Hammer, Unreal, Unity, etc.) or relevant mod or indie development
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of first-person and third-person shooters and action games, with an ability to analyze and discuss mechanics, encounters and player actions.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly to the vision set forth by Directors and Leads.
- Ability to work proactively as part of a team and maintain a positive attitude throughout development.
- Must be proactive about collaborating and communicating with the Mission Design Director.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills are critical.
- Scripting knowledge
- Experience working in a collaborative environment with cross disciplinary groups.
- Experience working on community mods or a gameplay design role on similar AAA titles.
- Experience as a combat or gameplay designer on first-person action games
- Familiarity with all id Software games, characters, brands, and worlds.
- Programming and/or scripting experience.
- BS degree or equivalent work experience.
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.