The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability.
Gearbox Entertainment is building a top-tier Creative Development department dedicated to providing high-quality storytelling within our franchise IP’s. We’re growing a team dedicated to expanding our worlds through a great number of storytelling channels and mediums.
A senior writer is an accomplished, proven professional with a history of quality work that has been released to the public. Senior writers are capable of performing all writing functions on a project. Senior writers are expected to meet their own writing goals and deadlines while also helping to identify other writing tasks and hold the team to standards of quality. Senior writers are expected to help craft the current and future narrative direction of our IPs. Additionally, Senior Writers will often act as Lead Writer on a specific project throughout its development. Essentially, Senior writers should be the type of person every project wants on their side. This role is open to full-time remote work in certain approved states.
- Write main missions, side missions, battle dialog, and any other writing assigned to the creation of stories.
- Lead a writer’s room with a group of writers, guiding collaborative story improvements and working with the team to punch-up dialog
- Collaborate with other writers, narrative groups, and developers of all disciplines to develop stories for Gearbox Entertainment
- When assigned, function as Lead Writer of a project or project area. Lead writers guide the tone, content and writing strategy for the assigned project.
- Review and/or edit submissions from other writers, both internal and external
- Occasionally, interact with marketing events and the press in the promotion of our games
- 5+ years of professional writing experience
- Has shipped at least one AAA game or has equivalent experience. Specifically, the writer must have previous work that is published and has been publicly critiqued, ideally related to work on a collaborative project.
- Excellent collaboration skills, and a track record of developing and maintaining constructive professional relationships with colleagues across multiple disciplines and degrees of seniority. A senior writer is a gracious collaborator, able to put their ego aside in order to co-develop content with other stakeholders and designers.
- Ability to proactively identify undefined writing needs and develop strategies and deadlines to fulfill those needs
- Ability to balance quality, workload, and deadlines. Senior Writers can identify places where the writing meets quality targets for the project and adjust their strategies and priorities accordingly.
- Skilled in writing entertaining and engaging dialogue with meaningful character interactions across different styles, tones, and mediums.
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with critiquing and/or mentoring junior writers.
- Experience in other areas of game development (game design, narrative design, etc.)
- Experience with game editors and text and dialog systems in games editors.
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.