The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability.
Gearbox Software is looking for a Senior Online Programmer to join us in developing projects in Unreal Engine 4. This role involves working in a team environment to create exciting and meaningful opportunities through the implementation of online features. This role will work closely with other departments to create the online experience for players across multiple platforms. Senior Online Programmers will also work to mentor and train other Online Programmers and work with the Online Programming Lead to create long term roadmaps for the department. Candidates should possess substantial familiarity with online systems, including platform APIs and backend services.
- Design and implement platform agnostic interfaces that expose rich online and connected experiences.
- Work closely with gameplay and UI programmers to integrate online features specific to a platform or title.
- Provide game-side support for interfacing with backend services.
- Collaborate with the design team as an advocate and resource for the user’s online experience.
- Evangelize new and current platforms and online technologies within the company
- 5+ years game industry experience
- Familiarity with current generation console APIs
- Must be able to work well in a team environment
- Well versed in C++ and object-oriented programming
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have extensive knowledge of current online products and trends
- Possess a strong passion to create amazing online experiences
Bonus Points For:
- Intimate knowledge regarding game sessions, matchmaking, voice, and online connectivity
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 in both engine and game code
- Experience with client-server architectures and RESTful services
- Intimate knowledge of multiplayer fundamentals such as roles, relevancy, replication, prediction, states, and simulations
- Familiarity with robust network communication through protocols such as WebRTC and XMPP
- Experience with bandwidth profiling and optimization
- Familiarity with design patterns and software architecture
- Experience maintaining backwards compatibility of complex systems through automated unit tests or test-driven development
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.