Senior Character Artist
The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability.
Gearbox is looking for individuals who have the passion and talent for creating visually stunning and unique 3D characters for our upcoming projects!
As a character artist you will help define and realize the character centric aesthetic goals of the projects by your strong understanding of anatomy, style, as well as technical and personal skills. You must be comfortable working alongside concept artists, game designers, animators, and engineering in your quest to help realize awesome, original characters and creatures!
Come be part of our character team as we march into the future!
- Model and sculpt compelling 3D characters, as well as necessary accessories, per the projects aesthetic style and direction
- UV map, texture and craft materials for 3D characters
- Collaborate and provide feedback both internally and externally for other characters in development
- Work closely with our game design department to ensure the character art supports the gameplay
- Provide photo reference and other source as necessary to craft exciting character design
- Able to go long distances on the creation of both the technical side of the craft and the creative side of the craft without needing constant input
- Understands the needs of animation by proper deformation and edge flow
- Strong proficiency in 3D Studio Max, Zbrush, Photoshop, Substance Suite and Unreal Engine
- Able to prep characters in Maya for animation
- Receive feedback and modify work based on direction
- Ensure consistency and quality of work
- Understands game technology and pipeline required for creating characters
- Knowledge of anatomy with strong understanding of form, shape language, color & design
- 6+ years of industry experience and at least 2 shipped titles
- Excellent texturing skills in Substance Painter or Photoshop with a PBR workflow
- Manage own time and deliver assets within production deadlines
- Must provide a portfolio that demonstrates the above skills
- Collaborate and interface in a creative team environment
- Passionate about creating games & playing them
Bonus Points For:
- Traditional sculpting & strong 2D background
- Experienced leading and guiding other art team members
- Ability to propagate learned knowledge to other art team members
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.