The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability.
Gearbox is looking for individuals who have the passion and talent to create visually stunning environments for our upcoming projects! As a Level Artist you will help define and realize the aesthetic goals of a project by arranging lighting, defining composition, and decorating areas with content created by our talented team of artists and yourself!
Demonstration of environment creation & population is required for portfolio submission.
- Create exciting and attractive environments that are lush with detail and interesting scene composition
- Collaborate with level & game designers to achieve visual goals while balancing gameplay and performance objectives
- Study and follow game design documents to know the story, style, objectives, atmospheres and environments to create game levels
- Work alongside with the Level Art Lead or Art Director in maintaining or defining aesthetic goals as necessary for the environments and project’s success
- Define or improve lighting aspects of environments as necessary to reach aesthetic target
- Work from concept art, style sheets, or references to achieve projects visual goals
- Provide feedback to other artists to ensure we’re working together to meet a project’s artistic expectations per environment(s)
- Identify and provide feedback on modeling and texturing needs necessary to execute environments, bringing these elements together into a cohesive experience
- Be a resource for the art team for the environment/level/area, answering questions and helping own that vision
- Good grasp of what it means to work in a game level editor and the effort required for asset population and implementation
- Strong eye for what makes a scene interesting by utilizing color, shadow, silhouette, composition, and asset arrangement / population
- Technically proficient enough to be comfortable crafting environments so they meet technical limitations as defined by our engineers and technical artists
- Excellent communication skills and being a team player - at Gearbox we thrive on collaboration and working together to meet our project artistic goals
- Strong understanding of how environments affect gameplay and vice versa
- Experience in creating whole environments, not just individual props and textures
- Some 3DS Max/Modo/Maya, or similar 3D modeling package experience is preferred
Bonus Points For:
- Unreal 4 experience is a plus
- Any asset creation experience is considered a plus for this position and could be part of this role depending on ability & level of experience
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.