Gameloft Montreal is seeking a new Lead 3D animator to join the team for LEGO® Star Wars™: Castaways, an Apple Arcade exclusive that has already reached the top of the global charts!
Praised by gamers for its story, game mechanics and graphics, LEGO® Star Wars™: Castaways is a 100%-original Gameloft Montreal production, designed by a passionate team that are just waiting for you to join them!
To learn more about the game:
Are You Looking for a Great Place to Work?
Join the Game!
Gameloft’s mission is to amaze the world, so everyone can enjoy a moment of happiness.
We have been proudly crafting games since 2000, two of which are featured in App Annie's “Top 10 iOS Games by All-Time Worldwide Downloads.” Talented Gameloft employees from all over the world have created established franchises, such as Asphalt®, Dragon Mania Legends, Modern Combat and Dungeon Hunter.
We put passion into every pixel of our games. It’s at the core of what we do every day, and major rights holders including Disney®, LEGO®, Universal, Mattel®, Lamborghini®, etc. recognize Gameloft’s creativity and trust us to produce awesome gaming experiences.
We are part of Vivendi—one of the world’s largest media groups—giving us the mana and resources to set our expectations high and aim for the very best.
All trademarks referenced above are owned by their respective trademark owners.
Reporting to the art director, the Lead 3D Animator works closely with the character, design and VFX teams in order to maintain the global vision for the game. They are primarily in charge of producing gameplay animations, cutscenes and/or cinematics that support the vision for the game's narrative and gameplay. They produce these elements while ensuring that animation instructions, constraints related to gameplay mechanics / staging, and established production deadlines are all adhered to.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring the project's artistic vision is followed by leading the animation team and by collaborating with the animation director, art director, technical lead, character team, FX team and the design team, in order to maintain the global vision for the game and overcome production constraints
- Working with the team's technical leads to contend with constraints related to production
- Taking part in ensuring that artistic and technical guidelines are respected
- Helping the technical animator in the creation of tools/scripts, custom rigs and the skinning of creatures/characters/vehicles for which the team is responsible
- Ensuring that animations produced undergo review while making certain that they are technically and aesthetically compliant
- Coordinating and taking part in the design of early 2D or 3D elements during pre-production: storyboard/animatic/previs, gameplay prototyping, fake footage, blocking, etc.
- Coordinating the production of the various animation sets for characters, creatures and vehicles according to design/gameplay needs, while adhering to the established visual identity and animation direction (navigation set, combat/combos/skills, etc.)
- Leading the production of cutscenes that support the game's narrative and progression
- Taking part in sensitive/critical production tasks
- Ensuring that there is constant communication between the various departments
- Maintaining a superior level of quality
- Setting a precise, realistic direction by describing goals in a straightforward manner
- Setting priorities for their team and communicating them to the members of that team
- Establishing team and individual goals, and communicating them to the members of their team
- Evaluating each team member’s individual performance and the attainment of their respective goals and determining their training needs
- Organizing, planning and coordinating tasks in order to increase the team’s efficiency and to ensure that all tasks are completed on time
- Using discernment to analyze problematic situations and suggesting solutions or approaches, as well as making well-founded, informed decisions
- Sharing progress regarding projects, tasks and decisions
- Demonstrating a positive attitude and commitment towards company goals
- Managing a team while factoring in time and available resources
- Reviewing work with regard to deadlines and quality of the deliverables
- Assigning the right resources to the right tasks
- Performing fair, objective, and fact-based evaluations of their team members
- Reaching the goals set for their team
- Taking on a mentoring role for their team members
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Strong organizational skills
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Pushes to reach ever-higher artistic quality
- Demonstrates consistent, professional behaviour at all times
- Reacts well to stressful situations
- Has a positive impact on the team and studio
- Mastery of the 12 fundamental principles of animation (squash and stretch, anticipation, staging, straight ahead action and pose to pose, follow through and overlapping action, ease in and ease out, arc, secondary action, timing, exaggeration, solid drawing, appeal)
- Solid educational background: anatomy; understanding of physics-related constraints both mechanical and organic; basic rules of composition
- Complete command of camera-animation and staging principles
- Creative, attentive to details, and able to clearly analyze narrative content
- Broad knowledge of the visual arts (animated films, games, character design, industrial/automobile design, comics, photography, etc.)
- Versatile and able to adapt to various visual styles/worlds
- Mastery of a variety of 3D animation production software packages (3ds Max [character studio, CAT], Maya, MotionBuilder, Spine, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of fundamental production constraints and technical or legal limitations
- Able to simplify complex or technical ideas
- Good analytical skills and judgement related to problem solving
Why Join the World of Gameloft?
- Because you want to be part of an exceptional experience within a company that is constantly growing!
- Because you want to work with talented people who are industry pioneers!
- Because you want to join a global company and meet great people around the world from all walks of life.
- Or, just because you’re looking for a great place to work!
What We Offer
- Flexible schedule
- 3 weeks’ vacation and mobile days off, available as of your start date
- Time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day to help you start the year off on the right foot
- Group RRSP program with employer contributions
- Great group insurance program
- Free 24/7 access to a virtual medical clinic
- The Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Partial reimbursement of your commuting costs (for public transit and/or parking)
- Support for new employees relocating from countries or regions outside Quebec
- Referral program with bonuses
- Regular activities and prizes courtesy of our Social Committee
And at the studio itself:
- Secure bike storage room and a subsidy to encourage active transportation (during the summer)
- Daily snacks (fruit, coffee, etc.)
- Friday happy hours
- A game room
- A rooftop terrace
- Studio located near Jarry Park and the charming Mile-Ex and Little Italy neighbourhoods
- Fitness classes at the studio itself or at Jarry Park (e.g., yoga)
We want to get to know you!
Submit your application now.
In order to consider your application, we require your portfolio or samples of your work (demos, animations, images, websites, etc.). Please indicate the address of your website and portfolio if you have one.