The Hero Profile (Role)
We are looking for a Game Designer with strong quantitative analytical capability to advance a globally recognized game to another level.
The Game Designer will be responsible for creating new game content while also iterating on current gameplay mechanics. Strategic and analytical, you understand numbers and data. That, paired with your can-do attitude and proven leadership ability, you will be an integral part of the complete game design process.
Numbers are your thing, and so are games.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Making things happen! You pursue perfection and balance in every detail of a game
- Polish and work on action gameplay, game balancing, economy, social features and reward structures within core game curves
- Analyze real-time feedback and metrics, and adjust game designs accordingly
- Provide actionable recommendations and work directly with programmers and artists to ensure game design mechanics and user experiences are correctly implemented
- Write programs and analyses to calculate and report on mathematical features and balance of our games
- Script stage mechanics, gameplay scenarios and prototypes
- Be an advocate for players by designing features that exceed their expectations
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of design documentation
- Present conclusions in a clear, understandable and valuable manner both through oral presentation and easy-to-understand visual forms
Max Level Skills (Requirements)
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mathematics, statistics, sciences, economics (or related disciplines)
- Strong proficiency with scripting languages (e.g. Python, Matlab, Lua…)
- Adept in Excel and spreadsheets
- Aptitude for learning new technology, level editors and scripting languages.
- Proven applied experience in querying large data sets and big data
- Understands the importance of analysis transparency and reproducibility as best practices
- Is on top of mobile game market trends and platforms
- Creativity and an understanding of game mechanics (e.g. flow/pacing)
- Knowledge of free-to-play game design fundamentals
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to translate game concepts into on-screen gameplay required
- Willingness to be a hero!
Good to have, but not required.
- Experienced in mobile game design and game editors (e.g. Unity)
- Portfolio of personal game projects or game mods
- Basic knowledge of C++
- Coding knowledge and/or some amount of technical experience
- Familiarity with idle clicker games
What it means to be a part of the Hive
- Valued ideas & input: you will be frequently asked to take charge in your projects and you will see your ideas come to life
- Receive a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package
- Gain experience using top-quality marketing and design resources
- Work in a fun, collaborative, feedback-focused and no-BS environment
- Regular paid team lunches, events, and other fun socials!
- Work in a central office location with all the (healthy, and not-so healthy) snacks & drinks you can consume to keep you fuelled
Join the Hive
Send us the following to apply:
- Your resume in PDF format
- A cover letter that highlights your proudest achievements
This is a full-time permanent position in our Toronto head office, located at 22 Adelaide Street West. Game Hive puts heavy value in diversity and inclusion and encourages all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please make it clear within your cover letter. We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.
Founded in 2009, Game Hive is a leading developer of mobile games for iOS and Android, with more than 200 million total downloads to date. We are passionate about making fun and rewarding games for everyone to enjoy. Our most popular games include the Tap Titans, Beat the Boss and Antrim Escape series (and many more!).