Physics Programmer (Action Shooter)
We are looking for a Physics Programmer to join our team on a ground-breaking next generation PvP shooter project with a Games as a Service focus. This is a AAA quality original IP at an exciting stage! The opportunity is to join at the earliest stages of a multi-year development and help shape an incredible new game experience.
The project is a huge multi-platform next generation action shooter experience with a heavy focus on Games as a Service, looking to bring unique mechanics and a bombastic tone to blow the doors off and bring something new to the genre!
- Understand and evaluate the physics related requirements of the project against the existing system to understand what further developments are required.
- Produce robust, efficient, clear, and maintainable code, while striving to reduce technical debt across the game.
- Investigate and evaluate third party tools, libraries, and frameworks.
- Undertake investigation as required to provide realistic targets, budgets and expectations based on robust profiling, considering the design requirements of the game.
- Design and oversee implementation of physics system protocols and disseminate budgets, protocols, and pipelines across the game team.
- Respond to design feedback to help meet the creative vision of the game.
- Provide constructive input to and feedback on designs during initial design, prototyping, iteration, and polish stages.
- Work closely with designers, artists, and other coders to improve and maintain the physics system.
- Take responsibility for your own work, as well as assisting across the project with debugging, profiling, and optimisation, and performing diligent testing of changes.
- Use your development experience to help mentor and guide more junior members of the coding team
- Strong knowledge of, and experience working in, C++.
- Confidence working with 3D maths (vectors, matrices, linear algebra).
- General software engineering knowledge (OOP, design patterns, API development).
- Experience profiling and optimising CPU performance of real-time systems.
- Experience debugging issues in large and complex codebases.
- An intuition for, and interest in, ‘game feel’.
- A willingness and desire to learn, adapt and work outside of your comfort zone.
- Approachable, with a proactive attitude towards cross-discipline communication.
- At least one year of experience in a similar role, ideally with at least one shipped title.
- Familiarity with working in Unreal Engine 4 would be very beneficial.
- Console development experience would be advantageous.
- Experience developing gameplay for VR would be useful.
- Private Healthcare Plan
- Pension Plans
- Work From Home
- Training & Development
- Employee Assistance Programme - Counselling
Firesprite is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We welcome and encourage applications from all suitable applicants regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.