Lead Technical Game Designer (Apex Legends)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they’ll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide.
Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond.
Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
We're looking for an experienced Lead Technical Designer who will embrace our philosophy and share their hard-earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
What You’ll do...
- Create and maintain high-quality gameplay components and tools
- Collaborate with other disciplines to implement core game mechanics, ensuring they make for the best possible gameplay experience
- Support and grow your teammates through knowledge-sharing, debugging, training, and writing technical design documentation
- Set priorities and goals for your work, together with important partners
- Help the content team to be more creative, by using their feedback to improve their workflow
- Create long-term plans for content implementation (gameplay systems and tools)
- Develop and advocate best practices to the content team
- Proactively communicate with others, to guide your work forward
- Participate in the critique of your work, and the work of others
- Look for opportunities to learn new skills to benefit your growth, your team, and the studio
You will have...
- 10+ years of experience as a technically-oriented game designer, with multiplayer experience
- At least one shipped AAA game
- Expertise in text-based scripting, visual scripting, or other programming languages
- Proficient at debugging
- Understand the importance of documentation and teaching others
- Enjoy problem-solving with a creative team
- Value documentation and healthy communication
- Broad taste in games
You will get bonus points...
- Bachelors in Computer Science (or equivalent)
- Experience developing and managing complex game systems (combat state machines, AI)
About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.