Game Designer (Hero)
Based in Guildford, DPS Games is looking for a Hero Designer to assist in the creation of worlds in the next big free-to-play PC title from Wargaming, the company that brought us World of Tanks and one of the strongest free-to-play PC game companies in the world. In this role, you will help to inspire and create gameplay for a new & exciting project aimed at a western audience.
As a Hero Designer, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of certain heroes for the project. You will work with the Lead Hero Designer and other stakeholders to design the gameplay and experience for our heroes. You will work in the Unreal Engine and with a variety of disciplines to prototype, implement, and polish hero gameplay and content. You will be responsible for documentation, high quality & high velocity work, responding to feedback, and critical problem solving.
In this position you will be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers in a global community and will have the ability to both share your hard-earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
We are looking for someone with a positive problem-solving, attitude who can integrate themselves seamlessly into our team & studio culture, has a strong set of design principles, and has the ability to direct multiple areas of the game toward the same vision.
Hero Designer will report to the Lead Hero Designer.
What will you do?
- Lead cross-discipline content teams to develop cohesive & exciting Hero vehicles
- Assimilate and champion the title’s gameplay vision throughout the team
- Document design decisions clearly and communicate to key stakeholders
- Evaluate metrics, user testing, and other sources of feedback, to identify issues and create a plan to solve them
- Learn and maintain top-quality and high velocity working practices
- Collaborate with the rest of the design team to contribute innovative ideas, hit deadlines and solve problems
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience as a designer working on PvP experiences
- Proficient in Unreal Engine and Blueprints.
- An understanding of multiplayer combat gameplay and live service game development
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- A broad understanding about what makes combat and systems fun
- Excellent knowledge of game design and game development concepts
- Ability to work within restrictions to solve problems as they occur
- Actively contribute to growth of the studio. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- Willingness to take initiative and responsibility to increase the quality of the game and health of the team
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Experience of Epic’s Gameplay Ability system framework in UE4
- Experience working with vehicle-based combat
- Experience working with Hero shooter/MOBA games
- Experience working on free-to-play and live games
- Have experience working with multiple studios across different time zones
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Delivering legendary games since 1998, Wargaming has grown to become one of the leaders in the free-to-play MMO gaming industry with 4500+ employees and more than 20 offices globally. Over 200 million players enjoy Wargaming’s titles across all major gaming platforms, including the massively popular World of Tanks and World of Warships.
Working in our company means always having interesting challenges and gaining valuable experience while working with top-class experts.
Take your place among our passionate and experienced team and bring out the best in yourself at Wargaming!