Director of Design
Demiurge Studios is seeking an experienced Director of Design to develop and manage our design group. You’ll lead a team of talented and motivated game designers, helping them to create memorable characters and encounters, resilient and effective economies, and moving, absorbing, transporting experiences for players. You’ll grow the design team and their capabilities and play a central role in the success of the studio and its games.
Note: Although a majority of Demiurgers are working from home at this time due to COVID-19, this position will require you to work on-site when most of the team returns to our offices in Cambridge, MA.
- Lead the design department, including setting departmental vision and strategy
- Recruit, interview, and hire top-tier design talent
- Support designers’ growth with career management and coaching
- Foster a first-class design culture that values learning and open, frequent, constructive feedback
- Provide opportunities for knowledge-sharing, skill-building, and leadership development
- Oversee design quality at the studio
- Advise project leadership on key product and design decisions
- Pitch and develop concepts with potential partners
- 10+ years of game development experience
- Design leadership experience on multiple shipped titles, and through all phases of the product life cycle from conception to live operations
- Demonstrated ability to foster a successful, collaborative design culture
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and develop design talent
- Knowledge of best practices for managing and coaching creative workers
- A deep understanding of the relationships between business goals and design
- Experience with pitch development
- A detailed and broad mental reference library of design decisions made in other games, and a sophisticated understanding of why they were made
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills
Demiurge Studios is a rapidly growing video game developer based in Cambridge, MA. Creating games is our passion and we bring years of expertise to our projects. The teams at Demiurge build fun, accessible games like our hit, Marvel Puzzle Quest. We also provide co-development services to larger, best-in-industry game companies. In that capacity, Demiurge has contributed to titles such as Bioshock, Rock Band, and Mass Effect.
Demiurge Studios is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, or Veteran status. Demiurge Studios also makes workplace accommodations for individuals with disabilities or special needs.