Crystal Dynamics, a part of the Square-Enix family, is constantly on the hunt for top-tier gaming talent worldwide. We pride ourselves on attracting and developing the best talent available to concept, create, and contribute to the most exciting projects in gaming today. 20+ years of history creating fun and exciting titles for the world to enjoy as well as our studio’s 1000+ years of combined game industry experience provides a rich tapestry of tested and new ideas to draw from and has established us as one of the best studios in the world to work for.
Crystal Dynamics is seeking an outstanding full-time Systems Designer who has a passion for creating high quality AAA games.
The ideal Designer will have a passion for action-adventure type games. The ideal candidate would have some technical familiarity with data tuning and object editing using a visual-based scripting language and should display strong collaborative skills when working with multiple disciplines.
Design responsibilities include but are not limited to data integration for various systems and features, documentation and tracking for feature implementation, collaboration with other designers on new features and general object/systems maintenance from concept to ship.
- Integrate all necessary data to support the full functionality of a system or feature including design, animation, VFX and sound data.
- Document processes and asset tracking to assist with scoping and debugging of your features.
- Provide regular updates to direct lead on progress, calling out red flags and obstacles in a timely manner in order to facilitate a smooth production.
- Maintain, test, and iterate all features from execution to final tuning.
- Participate in brainstorms; collaborating with other team members to objectively breakdown design concepts and provide feedback when appropriate.
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge:
- Clear, analytical thinker, with a proven ability to break gameplay design down into regular, reusable systems and articulate and document them.
- Understanding of system specific constraints as well as an understanding of game engine architecture and custom toolsets and able to deliver assets within the confines of real time engine constraints and programming demand
- Experience spec-ing and tuning particular game systems such as player progression or game wide economies.
- Must have the ability to conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule, while actively participating in technical and design problem solving in engine.
- Demonstrable organized approach to problem solving and time-management to meet strict production deadlines
- Current on industry trends as it relates to modern system’s design
- Ability to work closely with all project disciplines to ensure clear communication, troubleshooting and efficiency
- Excellent knowledge of game design theory and principles of what it takes to make a blockbuster AAA title.
- 1-2 years of game design experience
- Worked on at least 1 shipped title in some capacity
- UDK or Kismet related visual scripting experience
- Understanding of Visual Layout Game Editors
- Understanding of Maya
- C#, Lua or Python related scripting experience
- Narrative/writing experience
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.