Lead Combat Designer
Crystal Dynamics, a part of the Square-Enix family, is constantly on the hunt for top-tier gaming talent worldwide. We pride ourselves on attracting and developing the best talent available to concept, create, and contribute to the most exciting projects in gaming today. 20+ years of history creating fun and exciting titles for the world to enjoy as well as our studio’s 1000+ years of combined game industry experience provides a rich tapestry of tested and new ideas to draw from and has established us as one of the best studios in the world to work for.
Crystal Dynamics is looking for a Lead Combat Designer to own the design, implementation, and overall execution of industry-leading gameplay experiences. The Lead Combat Designer will work closely with the Design Director to document all game systems focusing on combat, and then iterate with all other disciplines to create ‘AAA’ quality combat experiences.
- Work with creative leadership to prototype, build, and ultimately own the moment-to-moment combat experience.
- Focus on ranged combat control, tuning, and balance in a PVE and PVP multiplayer environment.
- Design, help implement, test combat systems and direct enemy archetypes.
- Directly manage a mixed discipline team to achieve results.
- Work with Production to manage the scope of the game.
- Engage and respond with playtest feedback to iterate and improve the experience.
- Experience as a combat designer with at least two shipped AAA games.
- Previous experience as a senior/lead designer on a shipped AAA title.
- Experience designing and documenting weapon systems, damage systems, and multiplayer combat tuning.
- Experience tuning combat systems like aim assists and controller response curves.
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Ability to anticipate, prioritize, and organize work to meet objectives.
- Experience communicating with other gaming disciplines (e.g., art, programming, audio).
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer