Video Backend Engineer
At Caffeine, we want to change how people consume live television - making it more friendly, connected, and fun. To do this, we’re building a new social broadcasting platform that features world-class content, easy-to-use broadcasting tools, a social and fun viewing experience, and an engaged broadcaster community.
This is an exciting and enormous challenge, and we will only be successful if we build a supportive and collaborative team. Our teams prioritize delighting our community of viewers and broadcasters, working with intention, taking ownership of our commitments, and acting with resilience and determination—all with the intention to ship greatness, always.
As a Video Backend Engineer at Caffeine, you will be contributing to the core capabilities of Caffeine’s infrastructure. You will create new video services, contributing to our real-time components, and integrating with the data stores that make up our product. We run a microservices architecture with a focus on scalability, speed and reliability. You and your team will own and maintain each service you create, from coding & testing to deployment pipeline & production uptime.
What you'll do:
- Extend our WebRTC capabilities to support new user-facing streaming broadcast features.
- Build and enhance ingest and transcoding capabilities feeding a hybrid WebRTC and LL-HTTP CDN.
- Improve and optimize existing video transmission relays, transcoders, and encoders.
- Write unit, functional, and integration tests for the services and features you add, as well as find and adopt new quality and functional testing methodologies to further increase maintainability and velocity.
- Optimize video delivery for speed and scalability across web and mobile.
- Instrument services for operational visibility (both logging and metrics).
- Work cross-functionality with our backend services team.
- You will be contributing to the overall architecture direction for backend video systems.
Who you are & What you've done:
- 5+ years of solid engineering experience in video delivery at large scale.
- Experience with WebRTC, HLS/DASH, RTMP, MPEG-TS, H.264, H.265, VP8/9 or AV1 transports, containers and codecs.
- Experience with tools such as FFmpeg, GStreamer, Janus and Pion.
- Experience with CI/CD and writing unit, functional, and integration tests.
- Ability to learn and understand new video codec and transcoding technologies quickly; possesses a clear understanding of encoding standards.
- Experience working with distributed systems in production.
- Ability to mentor other engineers, review code and recommend process changes to improve the engineering organization.
- Able to design and build video systems at scale and help guide technical architecture discussions.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Caffeine. We believe that different perspectives lead to better ideas, and better ideas allow us to better understand the needs and interests of our diverse, global community. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and are an equal opportunity employer.