Insights (Data Science) Lead
The Insights Lead position, reporting directly to the Live Product Director, is a key role at Build a Rocket Boy. As Insights Lead, you and your team will be responsible for the data structure, definitions, and analysis for BARB’s upcoming AAA title, Everywhere.
In this role, you will work closely with the networking, design, live product, and script teams to define the structure and setup of all internal and external data needs of the title.
You will also be responsible for the initial hiring and onboarding of the Edinburgh insights, consisting of data scientist, analyst, and engineer, to ensure that all key stakeholders (design, product, marketing) have the qualitative and quantitative data available to inform key game decisions at and after game launch.
- Creating, building, and maintaining tools and information to support data-informed decision making across both the creative and business arms of the studio.
- Hiring, onboarding, and mentoring (direct line management) of a small team of data analysts & engineers.
- Building data sets and analyses via SQL + Python / R / etc.
- During and after initial launch development, working with the game teams to define core and supporting metrics of the title and validate their implementation.
- Post-launch, providing regular insights on player behaviour to product, design, business, marketing, and production teams.
- Regular evaluation of game metrics for health and usability.
- Building models and forecasts of user behaviour for later analysis.
- Ensuring player data and usage of that data is GDPR compliant, in liaison with external resources.
- Creation of dashboards and reports, both automated and manual.
- Cooperation, communication, and coordination with both internal BARB studios and outsourcers / external partners.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a live data environment, preferably with experience in both premium and F2P gaming, as a lead or senior Data Analyst, Scientist, or Product Manager.
- Experience with the AAA gaming market and landscape – bonus if you’ve worked on a AAA title in a live capacity.
- Literate in both qualitative and quantitative data, including statistical analysis and regression techniques.
- Experience with dashboard creation and maintenance, including initial setup and information gathering from stakeholders.
- High-level relational database expertise in a live service gaming environment.
- High-level SQL expertise – knowledge of other query languages is a fun bonus.
- High-level proficiency in at least 1 scripting language (Python, R, etc.)
- Experience working with Unreal, Lumberyard, Unity, CryEngine, or similar game engines in a data-specific role.
- A desire to work in a unique “AAA Start-up” environment – we run lean, and expect that you know when to jump in, when to delegate, and when to seek external solutions.
- Strong communication and cooperation skills, written and verbal, in English.
- Team management experience, at a Senior, Lead, or Mentor level.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a relevant field of study (Data Science / Mathematics / Business Information, etc.) or equivalent experience.