Senior Site Reliability Engineer - Unannounced Project
Hail, adventurer! Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an experienced Senior Reliability Engineer to join us on the quest of a lifetime: a brand-new, unannounced game project! This individual will be responsible for building a highly available, resilient, and performant infrastructure to support a global player base of millions of avid gamers.
Our team values creativity, collaboration, and commitment to quality. We believe that every voice matters, and each person is empowered to bring new ideas to the table regardless of their role or status. Do you strive to promote modern DevOps principles? to gain observability into every nook and cranny of your infrastructure? to automate ALL the things? Here now is your chance!
The ideal candidate for this position is a person who understands distributed systems architecture and how applications interact with these systems at scale. They are comfortable investigating software performance, inspecting network traffic, and running live incidents.
If you are excited by the above description, if you are passionate about the intersection of games and technology, if you are curious about the challenges that lie ahead, we invite you to answer the call! Join us, and together we shall write a new chapter in the history of Blizzard!
- Work in cross-discipline teams to ensure service reliability, availability, and performance
- Collaborate with our Server Engineering and Site Reliability Engineering teams to architect and maintain live services
- Plan and forecast service capacity and demand, analyze software performance, and tune systems and software
- Solve mission-critical service issues and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; automate away all toil
- Identify root causes of production issues, and recommend permanent solutions for them
- Setup and improve monitoring (metrics, logs, alerts, etc) to identify issues quickly
- Develop effective documentation, tooling, and alerts to identify and address risks
- Participate in on-call rotation with other members of Site Reliability Engineering team
- Experience with Linux container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with public and private clouds: GCP, OpenStack, AWS, and/or Azure
- Understanding of cloud orchestration frameworks (terraform, Kubernetes, argoCD, spinnaker, etc) and their role in IT transformation
- 5+ years’ experience working with Linux systems and related tooling (kernel, shell, system libraries, file systems, client-server protocols, etc)
- The ability to read/write code fluently in C#, Python, or Go
- Deep understanding of software development lifecycle including git-based CI and CD pipelines
- Networking: experience with network theory and protocols, e.g. TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, HTTP, TLS, and load balancing.
- Strong experience in distributed systems architectures – layered, event-driven, datacentered, service mesh, etc.
- Familiarity with distributed message buses such as Kafka and RabbitMQ
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with running a product at global scale including multiple regions
- Passion for mobile games, and/or game industry experience
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.