Lead Engineer - Diablo Live Operations
We Need You
The minions of Hell are growing stronger...
Are you a seasoned leader with a passion for improving how you develop and maintain large products? The Diablo franchise is looking for a strong technical leader who has a passion for driving reliability, consistency, and sustainability across all of our games.
We have an extremely talented team of passionate developers, whose backgrounds are diverse, and share a common passion for all things Diablo. If you are looking to modernize and improve how our games are run, we might be a great fit for you.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position but will transition to being on-site in Irvine.
- Vision holder of how we modernize our technologies to improve reliability for our players, consistency of our technologies and sustainability of our engineering efforts for all of our games
- Building an Engineering roadmap that supports the Diablo franchise objectives and improve the overall efficiency of live games
- Ensuring that our existing games provide a highly reliable experience for our players
- Managing, mentoring, and nurturing engineers and setting them up for long term success both as a group as well as individuals
- Coordinating with embedded and external teams within Blizzard to ensure all of our games are using supported technologies
- Working with production staff and other leads of the Diablo team to prioritize tasks and track development
- Ensuring that your team adheres to established coding standards, development philosophies, and maintains efficient coding practices.
- Serving as an active partner within the larger Diablo team leadership group identifying technical risks, and working collaboratively to improve the sustainability of our engineering efforts
- Building relationships and leading implementation of shared initiatives across all things Diablo, and within Blizzard.
- Being involved in hands-on coding, adding new and expanding on existing solutions, fixing issues as well as making our games more reliable and resilient
- Participating in on-call rotations for our live games
- You currently hold a senior software engineer position or higher
- Deep understanding of cloud technologies and scalable solutions
- Analytical mindset with a measured approach to the effectiveness of solutions
- Passion for optimized code both in terms of processing cycles as well as memory footprint, experience profiling and optimizing code
- Strong programming skills in C++
- A minimum of 5 years' programming experience with at least two shipped video games
- Need to have leadership potential or previous leadership experience
- Strong code review, interpersonal and communications skills
- Passion for lower level programming, validation, verification and software development with a service-oriented attitude
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment and handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Real passion for video games
- Experience running live games
- Expertise with Windows development and tools
- Expertise with Linux development and tools
- Experience with console development
- Experience in full stack development
- Experience with database technologies (Cassandra, MySQL NDB, Redis)
- Experience with containerization (Kubernetes, Docker)
- Experience with multiple revision control systems (Git, Perforce, SVN)
- Experience leading cross functional teams
- A degree in computer science, or a related field
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- What games you are currently playing
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunities for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences ever. Join us!