(Closed) Art & Animation Internship
Greetings, students! We’re geared up here to offer another round of epic internship experiences in 2021. The internship program offers the opportunity to pause your studies for one summer and work side-by-side with Blizzard Entertainment employees in your area of interest, doing real work that oftentimes ends up in production. As such, we hold you to the same high standards as anybody else in the company.
Just like our gameplay experiences, Blizzard internships are a fully immersive experience. We want interns who are enthusiastic about what they want to do for a living and excited to come in every day to learn and contribute in this hyper-creative atmosphere. Being fully engaged with our team also means communicating effectively and maintaining an open mind - one that is receptive to feedback and able to adapt and grow. Your hobbies and interests can also play in your favor. Passion for technology, gaming, game development, and an in-depth knowledge of Blizzard games, products, and services will always be a plus with us, regardless of the position you’re applying for. Be passionate about who you are, be into our industry, and be willing to go all-in and embrace this opportunity to the fullest!
- Our team values creativity, collaboration and a commitment to quality and we are searching for like-minded artists to add to our team of talented game makers and cinematic creators.
- Together we will learn, grow, and ultimately enjoy success as a team, overcoming new challenges together.
- If you have a passion for games and/or cinematics and want to participate in the future of Blizzard, we would love to hear from you!
- Currently enrolled in a college or university
- Returning for at least one more semester or quarter following the Summer 2021 internship
- Able to work full time hours for 11 – 12 weeks at the Blizzard office indicated in this job posting between May 2021 – August 2021 or June 2021 – September 2021 (group dates depend on when you get out of school)
- Authorized to work in the US
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio and/or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
Character Modeler Intern, Overwatch
Tracer, Winston, Pharah, Hanzo… these are just a few of the memorable heroes that inhabit our world. Our talented artists put their heart and soul into bringing these unique and visually stunning characters to life, and their ranks are growing. We want to meet a Character Artist ready to step up and break new ground in the Overwatch universe.
- Create both high resolution 3D sculpts and final low polygon game assets
- Couple hand painted textures and next-gen materials for use in game engine
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via prototyping and group critiques
Character Concept Artist Intern, Overwatch
As a Character concept artist you will be using your fearless imagination and bold talent to expand the world of Overwatch and bring new compelling characters into our story. Using the skills of both artist and designer to their fullest potential, a concept artist lives on the front line of development. You’ll work closely with hero designers and 3D artists to bring new heroes, and new takes on heroes into the game. Your knowledge of anatomy and expression will be pushed to new heights designing the heroes, villains, and the creatures between to inhabit the world.
- Create skin concepts based on existing heroes
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via paint overs, studies, and group critiques
Technical Artist Intern, Overwatch
Help make our next heroes come to life! You'll leverage your skills by providing support throughout the character skin production process, working closely with character artists and animators; physics set-up and skinning character bodies and faces, and preparing them technically for export. You will learn the needs of a production pipeline and teams we support. You will work collaboratively with other departments including modeling, game design, animation, concept, and VFX. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated artist who has built rigs and can maintain a good level of visual and technical quality and must have a strong understanding of skinning. Pluses include ragdolls, anatomy, cloth / hair, and Python scripting.
- Familiarity rigging/skinning characters in Maya, or similar software
- Strong knowledge of character kinematics, deformations, and topology
- Proficiency in character Skinning, Physics, and Technical Workflows
- Strong communications skills
3D Artist Intern, Unannounced Project
Our ideal candidates have strong skills in authoring hand painted textures and is comfortable making a wide variety of 3D assets. We are looking for a 3D Art intern to help create hand painted props and environment art assets for an exciting new mobile title.
- Author 3D props and environment art pieces
- Create high quality hand painted textures
- Learn the technical requirements of the game (poly counts, naming conventions, texture resolution etc) and adhere to the enforced standards
- Integrate your own work and work received from outsource partners into the engine
- Champion Blizzard’s core values, especially “Commit to Quality” and “Learn and Grow”
Modeling Artist Intern, Cinematics
Candidates should have some experience working with digital modeling software to create dynamic and appealing assets. From the stylized world of Overwatch or Hearthstone to photorealistic Cinematic models from the Warcraft Universe, the applicant must be excited to tackle any design tasked to them. Our ideal candidate is highly motivated and enthusiastic to share the workload of our hard-working, talented team. You will be right amongst the other artists and be held responsible to help assist the team in creating assets for our upcoming Cinematics.
- Basic understanding of Maya and the production pipeline
- Basic understanding of Zbrush and/or Mudbox
- Basic understanding of UVing, Topology and Displacement map extraction
- Ability to collaborate with the Modeling Team and bring your own passion, ideas and creativity to Blizzard Animation as a whole
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.