Lead Multiplayer Designer
Ascendant Studios is a Triple-A video game studio, located in downtown San Rafael, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area. Founded by industry veterans of such games as Dead Space, Call of Duty: WW2, and Telltale’s The Walking Dead, Ascendant Studios is striving to create games that are original and groundbreaking. We combine deep industry knowledge with strong innovation and a fierce creative spirit.
Ascendant Studios is on the hunt for an experienced multiplayer designer to head up our multiplayer effort. The ideal candidate will have recently shipped an AAA title on console or PC as a senior or lead multiplayer designer. They will also be comfortable working alongside outside partners during preproduction, production, and Live-Ops support. This is a full time, on site position at our office in San Rafael, California.
- Lead the effort to create a unique multiplayer mode for Ascendant’s new IP
- Iterate on on gameplay designs from concept through prototype and production
- Oversee a team of external partners to prototype and execute the multiplayer game experience
- Collaborate with local single player leads in art, design, and programming while advocating for the multiplayer experience
- Test, provide feedback, and iterate on gameplay systems, levels, and the core loop through development
- Help to scope and track progress on multiplayer related tasks
- Recently shipped multiplayer AAA console/PC title in a senior or lead design role
- 5+ years of design experience in game design for console/PC, including at least one full production cycle
- Understanding of modern multiplayer titles, including their gameplay loops, post-launch content plans, and monetization strategies
- Familiar with a broad range of design principles as they apply to multiplayer gameplay, including level design, enemy and combat tuning, team dynamics, etc.
- Exceptional communication skills.
Good to Have
- Understanding of Unreal Engine 4, including blueprint creation.
- Previous experience leading a team through a full development cycle.