(Closed) Director of Esports
The person in this (part-time) position will oversee all aspects of a comprehensive eSports program, including sponsored games, special events, and facility operation. They will supervise head coaches for sponsored games and focus on recruitment of qualified student-athletes. The person will provide a diverse array of eSports programming that will attract participation from a broad spectrum of current and prospective students. They will manage daily operations of the eSports room and be responsible for scheduling and equipment maintenance. This position will work the equivalent 3.5 days per week, which is approximately 25 hours per week.
Arcadia University is a top-ranked private university in the greater Philadelphia area that promises a distinctly global, integrative, and personal learning experience to prepare students to contribute and lead in a diverse and dynamic world. A national leader in study abroad and international education, Arcadia has been named #1 in undergraduate study abroad participation for the ninth consecutive year by the Institute of International Education’s Open Doors Report. Approximately 3,900 students attend Arcadia, and the University’s 2,500 undergraduate students choose from more than 65 fields of study.
Applications must be submitted online through Arcadia's Human Resources portal to receive full consideration. Please do not email application materials to hiring manager. Due to the volume of applications received, communication will generally be limited to those candidates that are selected for additional consideration.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and names and phone numbers of three professional references.
Application review will begin immediately. Posting will be removed from the website once we've established a sufficient talent pool for consideration.
Arcadia University seeks candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds and abilities. Arcadia University encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. All offers of employment are conditional based on successful completion of a background check.
- Oversees all aspects of a comprehensive eSports program, including sponsored games, special events, and facility operation. Oversees hiring, training, scheduling, supervision, payroll, and evaluation of eSports head coaches and student staff.
- Manages professional and student staff payroll.
- Monitors and ensures successful recruitment efforts of head coaches and support staff.
- Assists in recruiting and retaining qualified student-athletes. S
- erves as the eSports spokesperson and represents the program at key university, regional, and national events.
- Manages program within framework of established budget by purchasing equipment/apparel, uniforms, supplies, and other services.
- Ensures appropriate staffing levels for all operating hours and events.
- Directs, supervises, and evaluates eSports programming, including sponsored games, open recreation gaming, special events, leagues, camps, and tournaments.
- Establishes and maintains operating schedule for eSports room.
- Collaborates with other departments and student organizations to help facilitate academic and shared usage of eSports room.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates operating policies and procedures of eSports room.
- Promotes academic progress of student-athletes.
- Ensures player eligibility in all collegiate leagues and competition as well as player records that demonstrate eligibility.
- Serves as a role model for team members with regards to personal and professional conduct.
- Counsels and mentors team members as needed.
- Monitors health, wellness, and safety of team members.
- Enforces department and team expectations regarding general standard of behavior for student-athletes.
- Engages with key university staff and offices as necessary for matters related to sport program.
- Performs administrative tasks and completes requests for information as assigned.
- Meets expectations for department-wide fundraising initiatives.
- Contributes to a positive work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Athletics Department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Received: Position reports to the Assistant Director of Athletics.
Given: Supervises head eSports coaches, assistant and volunteer coaches (if applicable), and student workers.
Essential Job Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university is required. Master's degree is preferred.
- Previous coaching experience at the collegiate or high school level preferred. Successful collegiate gaming and coaching experience preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated eSports management experience, including strategic planning, budget management, equipment purchasing, and risk management.
- Demonstrated success in scouting, talent assessment, and recruitment of qualified student-athletes.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills, whether dealing with individuals or groups, and an ability to work well with different constituents.
- Strong initiative, detail, and follow-up skills with student-athletes, staff members, and administration.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to set and achieve or exceed goals and meet deadlines.
- Ability to learn and apply University policies and procedures to ensure operational compliance and reliable judgement.
- General computer knowledge with a proficiency in Word and Excel.
- Experience with Front Rush or similar recruiting software preferred.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment for optimal gaming experience.
- Working knowledge of collegiate eSports league rules of play.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and travel for both games and recruiting expected.
- Evening and weekend availability is required.
- Flexibility with an evolving work environment is important.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Ability to successfully complete a background check, motor vehicle check, and drug test.
- Compliance with NCAA Division III rules and regulations required.
- Compliance with athletic conference rules and regulations required.
- Compliance with collegiate eSports leagues rules and regulations required.
- Ability to demonstrate and teach sport-specific skills required.
- Ability to move about campus and other locations. Physical ability to include standing and/or walking for long periods, bending, kneeling and stooping, manual dexterity, and ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.