Environment Technical Artist
343 Industries has one single mission: Build great HALO experiences. 343 Industries, part of Microsoft Studios, is home to the game industries top talent and we are dedicated to the HALO universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make HALO what it is today. And we need exceptional people to help us achieve that goal.
343 has an incredible opportunity for a motivated and experienced Technical Artist to join our Environment Art Team. This role will specialize in working with Artists and Designers to implement key assets and workflows to bring unique player experiences to life. This role requires experience configuring complex assets for game play needs, cross discipline usage and are optimized for run-time performance. Additionally, you should be experienced working with scripting languages and node graph tools in large scale productions.
The ideal candidate will have a strong eye for Art Quality and knowledge of run time art requirements for modeling, animation, and destruction. This role ensures content will run at expected frame rates, fit within memory and disk footprints. Additionally, you will provide technical reviews and guidance for best practices on performance and procedures for environment artists. You are expected to be knowledgeable and up to date on modern trends of game development techniques and process.
This candidate is expected to be extremely creative and highly collaborative with developers and artists. You must be effective in communicating and incorporating feedback. You will work closely with Technical Artists and Technical Art Leads, Lead Environment Artists, and Tool\Engine Developers. The ideal candidate must be highly effective and positive in ambiguous situations, able to self-motivate to high performance, manage your time effectively and react quickly to changing requirements.
- Creating and implementing key game assets that deliver unique experiences to the player
- Take ownership of workflows and tools for the creation and delivery of game assets
- Partner with developers to build workflows, engine, editor and rendering features
- Constantly improve and advocate for best-in-class content creation and production practices
- Ensure all environment technical guidelines and performance requirements are met
- Work through ambiguity while still delivering timely and high-quality results
- Actively seek out, incorporate, and provide feedback to and from peers
- Effectively plan out work to meet project deadlines
- 2+ years of technical art experience on AAA games for console or PC games
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Knowledgeable with industry standard software like Maya, 3D Studio Max, Substance Designer, Zbrush, Photoshop
- Experience with creating and implementing animation, rigging and destruction in game
- Experience developing content with Lua, Python or node graph tools
- Thorough understanding of modern environment art construction processes and methods
- Experience with a modern game engine (UE4, Unity, Frostbite, Snowdrop, etc.)
- Highly organized with excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Excellent Time management, Creative and Production Processes
- Experience working with large and diverse teams while developing at scale
- Experience working on FPS or sci-fi games
All candidates must deliver a full resume with samples to be considered for this position.
Portfolio review and presentation will be required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.