(Closed) Senior AI Engineer
Wargaming Berlin is looking for a talented Senior AI Engineer to join a team working on an exciting new RTS project. As a Senior AI Engineer you will be responsible for writing high-performance AI behavior code for a highly ambitious unannounced real time strategy game.
Are you interested in working in a rapid prototyping environment and being involved in the early stages of development? As part of a small team you will have the chance to be a part of the creative process, as well as participating in establishing the process of how we develop a new game.
What will you do?
- Work with Lead Engineer to define strategy and architecture for AI systems in a large-scale multiplayer RTS game
- Design and write high-performance AI systems that can scale to a large number of AI agents
- Write systems that can be expanded by gameplay engineers
- Be involved in the creative process and work closely with game designers and artists to create believable behavior
- Create AI behavior at multiple levels, from simple unit decisions to group vehicle coordination to simulating players and higher level systems
- Build configurable systems for designers to use and abuse in creative ways
- Work on pathfinding systems and vehicle movement
- Be the authority on everything AI-related in the project and provide guidance to other engineers on the team
- Create and communicate clear technical designs to other engineers
- Participate in code reviews, suggest improvements to code and workflow and share best practices
- We value smaller teams with close collaboration, so you are expected to have a ‘generalist’ attitude, willing and able to handle different types of tasks as they come up.
What are we looking for?
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Experience writing AI behavior code in Unreal Engine 4
- Ability to write code that scales to very large numbers of AI agents
- Experience writing distributed server code
- An interest to be involved in game design and focus on outcomes rather than tasks
- A good eye for natural behavior and user expectations of how something should behave
- Understanding of Dijkstra’s, A* and other graph search algorithms
- Deep understanding of behavior trees
- Experience writing crowd avoidance and flocking behaviors
- Understanding of various types of state machines
- Experience writing systems that provide AI with awareness of environment and goals, for example influence maps
- Engine-level optimization and profiling skills
- Be comfortable working on a game in the prototype phase where change is frequent and dramatic
- Great communication and collaboration skills, good English is required
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, self-motivation and desire to learn
- Passion for game development
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Experience using or writing utility-based AI system
- Experience with Goal-based action planning
- Shipped a multiplayer strategy game
- Experience with large-scale games or persistent MMO titles
- Experience with SpatialOS or similar MMO backends
What we offer at Wargaming Berlin
- Joining an international team of people passionate about gaming
- Working in one of the main European hubs for mobile game development
- Startup within a company with 20 years of experience in game development
- Flexible working hours & work from home whenever needed
- Public transportation, Lunch and Sport & Culture benefits
- Free Gym membership
- Travel and accident insurance (covers you at all times)
- Mobile phone and Home internet
- Soft drinks, coffee, snacks, random treats and office events/parties
- Relocation support when needed
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Delivering legendary games since 1998, Wargaming has grown to become one of the leaders in the free-to-play MMO gaming industry with 4500+ employees and more than 20 offices globally. Over 200 million players enjoy Wargaming’s titles across all major gaming platforms, including the massively popular World of Tanks and World of Warships.
Working in our company means always having interesting challenges and gaining valuable experience while working with top-class experts.
Take your place among our passionate and experienced team and bring out the best in yourself at Wargaming!