Senior Game Designer
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a passionate Senior Game Designer to join Sumo Digital on an exciting new IP. This is a fantastic opportunity for a game designer specialising in weapon systems and combat mechanics to play a pivotal role in developing the core experience of a AAA game from the ground up.
Within this role you will:
- Take ownership of features from inception through to game release; striving for quality and innovation while adhering to the core vision of the game
- Be the champion of quality for multiple feature designs; executing the vision of the stakeholder team
- Review and adapt designs based on user testing and telemetry data
- Mentor junior design team members
To be successful you will have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A proven track record of designing weapon and combat systems for high-profile shooter games
- A likable and approachable personality with a desire to motivate those around you
- A passionate love of gaming and a strong understanding of modern gaming trends; particularly in the PvP shooter genre.
- 5+ years in game development
- Knowledge of UE4
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here