Sumo Nottingham develops characterful, accessible and innovative action/adventure and racing games for console and PC. We are part of Sumo Digital Ltd., an independent UK developer working with some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony and Sega.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Nottingham is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
Sumo Nottingham is looking for a Senior Animator, capable of creating dynamic and compelling animations for gameplay systems using both keyframe and motion capture data. You will be well versed in the principles of animation and videogame production pipelines and how Animation as a discipline fits within that process.
Reporting to the Lead Animator, you will be a strong voice for the animation team within the studio and will be expected to own complex gameplay features from start to finish, working collaboratively with other disciplines to plan, prototype, create and polish those systems to a high quality.
The ideal candidate will enjoy being involved in a friendly, hard working environment and be able to communicate well within the art team as well as with other development disciplines. If you are looking for a role that provides a huge amount of creative input, ownership, and responsibility for important features within the game, this is the job for you!
- Industry experience: 5+ years of videogame animation experience
- Shipped at least 1 AAA title
- High degree of proficiency with Maya and/or Motionbuilder
- Proven experience working with animation graphs and systems, including the prototyping of new gameplay features
- Unreal Engine 4 experience is highly desirable
Key Skills and Responsibilities:
- Production of high quality keyframe and motion capture animation
- Contribute to the design and execution of complex gameplay systems
- Implement animations into engine with full ownership of your work
- Provide detailed input about the character creation process, from concept and design, through to modelling, rigging and final animation
- Assist the Lead Animator in mentoring, planning, and scheduling
- Be heavily involved in the continued development of tools and pipeline processes, maintaining an understanding of industry best practices
- Assist in planning and directing motion capture sessions
- Serve as an active participant in team discussions, critiques, and reviews
- Meet production schedules and deadlines
- Communicate effectively with peers
- Be a strong team player with a desire to push the quality of animation in the game
Where you’ll be working
Our studio is in Nottingham’s Castle Marina, near Nottingham’s picturesque canal route and just fifteen minutes’ walk from the City Centre. The studio is served by excellent bus, tram and cycle links and the railway station is a ten-minute walk away.
Nottingham has lots to see and do, including a huge choice of bars and restaurants, art galleries and numerous cultural events. There are several large parks in and around the city (including Wollaton Park, containing Batman’s house!), and it sits on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District area. It has excellent road and rail links to the North and South of the country, with London less than two hours away by train.
What we’ll do for you
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. We support your personal development through access to training resources and time to work on them. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, vouchers on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves, and offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, with emphasis on well being and work/life balance.
Want to know more about Sumo?
Sumo Digital, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and 2019 TIGA Award for Best Independent Studio, continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003. We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, Warrington, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.