Sumo Nottingham develops characterful, accessible and innovative action/adventure and racing games for console and PC. We are part of Sumo Digital Ltd., an independent UK developer working with some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony and Sega.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Nottingham is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
Example areas of work include, but are not limited to, implementation of PlayFab features, per-platform online feature implementation, work with party system, work with VOIP, working with UMG and adding UI, bugfixing in all these areas, plus other general code tasks where required and
- Strong programming experience (C++)
- Experience with UE4
- Experience working on multiplayer games
- Experience with online services such as matchmaking, leaderboards, parties, lobbies
- Experience with Epic’s Online Subsystem interfaces
- Console experience
- Generalist willing to work in multiple areas (e.g. some UI, supporting gameplay, etc. as well as backend work)
Nice to Have:
- Experience with UE4’s Gauntlet test system
- Experience with UE4’s network profiler
What we offer at our Nottingham studio:
- Annual Bonus
- Share Incentive Plan
- Competitive Pension
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday, duvet days and Christmas holiday shut down
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Competitive Mat/Pat & Adoption
- Comprehensive Benefits package including a dental option
- Free gym membership to PureGym
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
Your Career Development
- Career Development and pathway
- 5 yearly Learning and Development Days
- Take part in regular Game Jams and Creative Jams
- Access to a wealth of training materials from leading content providers such as Udemy, Epic, Gnomon Workshop and GDC Vault
- Take advantage of a big selection of titles within our Game & Book Libraries
Perks and Extras
- Wrap Parties and wrap gifts
- Long service and game completion awards
- Studio tuck shop
- Free fruit and drinks
- Cake and savoury buffets on Friday mornings
- Last Friday of the month drinks and games
- Awesome Christmas party
- Summer Family Big Day Out
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
Where you’ll be working
Our studio is in Nottingham’s Castle Marina, near Nottingham’s picturesque canal route and just fifteen minutes’ walk from the City Centre. The studio is served by excellent bus, tram and cycle links and the railway station is a ten-minute walk away.
Nottingham has lots to see and do, including a huge choice of bars and restaurants, art galleries and numerous cultural events. There are several large parks in and around the city (including Wollaton Park, containing Batman’s house!), and it sits on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District area. It has excellent road and rail links to the North and South of the country, with London less than two hours away by train.
What we’ll do for you
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. We support your personal development through access to training resources and time to work on them. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, vouchers on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves, and offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, with emphasis on well being and work/life balance.
Want to know more about Sumo?
Sumo Digital, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and 2019 TIGA Award for Best Independent Studio, continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003. We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, Warrington, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.