Associate Art Director
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are actively recruiting an exceptional Associate Art Director for Sumo's Sheffield studio to help develop and grow the universe of an existing AAA IP. You will support the Art Director on all designated art aspects to ensure the project vision and aesthetic quality is upheld.
You will undoubtedly be a confident leader unafraid to be an advocate for the art team with the ability to have a holistic approach on how art impacts the gaming development lifecycle. With a passion for excellence, you will drive high standards, mentor and support team members and push for creative collaboration across both the Art department and other disciplines.
This is a perfect opportunity for the right person to start the transition to the role of Art Director.
Within this role you will:
- Support the Art Director and game development teams to ensure that art supports and enhances the game play and narrative.
- Review, direct and provide positive constructive feedback for appropriate art disciplines.
- Facilitate and lead art reviews for internal and external teams.
- Aid in the creation and refinement of Art Bibles, Style Guides, and Mood Boards in collaboration with the Art Director and discipline leads.
- Be an Advocate and spokesperson for the franchise.
- Regularly update senior management on status and progress of milestone deliverables.
- Actively participate in multi-discipline stakeholder meetings and champion the art requirements/needs
- Collaborate with Producers and Art Managers to identify and resolve art workflow and staffing issues.
- Be a stakeholder/owner in one or more areas, with feedback and sign off responsibilities.
- Work closely with multiple departments ensuring quality and best practices
To be successful you will have:
- Shipped at least one AAA title as an Art Lead or Principal.
- Have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in games or analogous industry.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proven experience directing and supporting artists across multiple art disciplines.
- Worked collaboratively and productively in cross discipline teams.
- Be self-motivated and self-sufficient.
- Excellent visual, verbal, and written communication skills to support delivery of a clear artistic vision of the project both internally and externally.
- Mastery in identifying existing visual styles and the ability to implement them.
- A commitment to raising the bar for the project and team.
- A strong understanding of current game technology and future ambitions.
- A portfolio of project and personal work demonstrating quality, technique, and creative thought process.
- A Breadth of knowledge across many strands of visual culture, (including art and cinema)
It would be great if you also have experience with:
- Multiple areas of game Art production.
- Experience with developing games from existing IPs or franchises
- Working knowledge of industry standard Project Management tools, Perforce and Visual Development Platforms such as Shotgun.
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus
- Share Incentive Plan
- Competitive Pension
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
- 5 Learning Days
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
- Game & Book Libraries
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Big Family Events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance 4x Salary
- Income Protection of 75%
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.