(Closed) Data Engineer
Who We Are
At Statespace we’re using cognitive science, artificial intelligence, and video games to revolutionize the way that humans improve.
Our first product (Aim Lab) is a personalized, AI-powered analytics and training platform for competitive gamers and Esports athletes. Aim Lab has well over a million users and the best user community in the whole wide world (we may be biased).
Our team consists of scientists, designers, engineers, and game industry vets coming together from places like NYU, MTV, NASA, Yale, Nintendo, and the NFL. We are well-funded and supported by some of the world’s best investors and entrepreneurs, including Khosla Ventures, FirstMark Capital, Lux Capital, Expa Capital, and WndrCo.
Weird. Non-traditional Background. Underdog. Outcast. If people have used any of these words or phrases to describe you... welcome home. Kick-ass engineer or designer without a degree? Come join our team. We hire talented, self-motivated people and get out of their way. We are based in NYC but have a remote work culture and are looking for exceptional people to join our team regardless of their physical location.
We value performance, not hours worked (or when you work them). We believe you shouldn’t have to miss your kid’s play or doctor’s appointment for the sake of adhering to an arbitrary work schedule. However, if you are looking for a job where you are happy to just collect a nice paycheck and/or nap under your desk like George Costanza, we are not the right fit for you (we don’t even have desks).
The work we do is hard, and therefore, a key company goal is to mitigate needless obstacles that prevent our team members from accomplishing their goals. To that end, our vacation policy is “take it whenever you want to”, our PTO policy is “take it whenever you need to”. We offer very generous compensation plans as well as medical, dental, vision, and retirement plans.
The Data Engineer Role
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our team who can develop, construct, test, and maintain architectures, such as databases and large-scale processing systems. The Data Engineer will be in charge of designing, building, testing, and maintaining data management systems. The Data Engineer will need to recommend and sometimes implement ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality. The Data Engineer will work closely with our Data Science team as well as our Engineering team.
- Implement, verify, design, and maintain software systems
- Build data architecture for ingestion, processing, and surfacing of data for large-scale applications
- Extract data from one database and load it into another
- Use many different scripting languages, understanding the nuances and benefits of each, to combine systems
- Research and discover new methods to acquire data, and new applications for existing data
- Solve complex problems on a coding level
- Building and designing large-scale applications
- Database architecture and data warehousing
- Data modeling and mining
- Distributed computing and splitting algorithms to yield predictive accuracy
- Proficiency in languages such as R, SQL, SAS, Python, C/C++, Ruby Perl, Java, and MatLab
- Hadoop-based analytics, such as HBase, Hive, Pig, and MapReduce
- Self motivated and can work independently with minimal supervision
We believe in hiring the best, the brightest, and cultivating a culture of collaboration and appreciation. You will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, citizen status, age, disability, military or protected veteran status, genetic predisposition or carrier status or any other legally protected status.