Senior Graphics Programmer
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships amongst our players and our staff by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences. We only team up with the world’s leading partners and have worked with many of gaming’s most beloved universes over the years.
Our studio culture is built around autonomy, friendliness, and constant learning, and we look after our talent with a comprehensive benefits package. The Sunday Times named Splash Damage the UK’s 47th Best Company to Work For in 2018, and we’ve been awarded their Best Companies accreditation four years running. We also believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
We are currently working on several exciting titles for PC and consoles, including Gears 5, Gears Tactics, and a few that haven’t been announced yet. Come join us!
At Splash Damage, we create multiplayer combat games that champion team play and promote lifelong friendships. Systems, Graphics and Online programmers make up our Core Tech team and are responsible for implementing the core systems, pipelines and infrastructure that empower the development team and provide the solid framework for all our titles. We work closely with other disciplines to help them realise their ideas with a focus on delivering value in an iterative, agile environment.
As a Senior Graphics Programmer, you will use your knowledge and experience to own the technical design and implementation of large-scale rendering features. Through mentoring and championing of best practises and company values you will provide day-to-day support for more junior members of the team whilst effectively managing your own time and workload through delegation. You will help drive the project forward by working with your discipline lead to plan and maintain roadmaps and improve processes.
We believe that constantly improving your skills is an essential part of the job and we offer regular leadership, management, and mentoring training programmes.
You excel at:
- Working collaboratively with members of multiple disciplines to iteratively develop features that address and achieve the high-level goals of the game.
- Identifying and championing best practises and processes within your domain
- Employing a can-do attitude to solve difficult problems as part of an agile, fast-moving and highly focused team.
- Writing clear, maintainable, and portable code.
- Monitoring, maintaining, and optimising the performance of the game.
- Communicating ideas, intent, and constraints to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Strong practical knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience.
- Practical and demonstrable professional experience with graphics programming in a modern game engine, having worked extensively on rendering techniques, optimisation, memory management, and content pipelines.
- Experience profiling and optimising code for optimal CPU, GPU, memory, and bandwidth usage.
- Experience working in all phases of game development, from feature design and implementation to bug-fixing.
- A strong understanding of state-of-the-art rendering techniques used in modern games.
- A strong interest in researching and implementing new Graphics related technologies.
- Strong computer science and maths background.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to self-organise.
- The people skills to work collaboratively within a team.
Even better if you have:
- Professional development experience with real-time networked multiplayer games.
- Professional Unreal Engine 4 development experience on PC and/or consoles.
- Experience with low-level systems programming.
- Experience with multi-threaded development.
- Experience developing for Scarlett, PS5, Xbox One and/or PS4.
- Experience profiling and optimising code for optimal CPU, memory and bandwidth usage.
- Experience developing procedurally generated environments.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.
Find out more on our Studio page.