Lead UI Programmer
About Splash Damage
Come join us!
At Splash Damage, we’re dedicated to crafting team-based multiplayer games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork.
Our teams celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics earlier this year, and we’re currently developing Outcasters for Stadia along with several unannounced titles.
As an UnrealEngine focused studio, we're excited to be transitioning our teams to the latest in UE5 technology and we're looking for skilled and passionate developers to help us drive this. We're advocates for work-life balance and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
We believe that teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from.
Therefore we're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard. Due to the on-going COVID-19 outbreak, we're all currently working from home. We’re still looking to welcome new team members, who'll join us remotely until we return to the studio.
Lead UI Programmers establish, drive and own the technical design and implementation of the user interface.
They create project roadmaps for UI code and plan sprints for their team, effectively prioritising work to make ideal use of each team member’s skills. Drawing upon their experience in UI development they will share knowledge with their team to create performant and robust data-driven interfaces that respect the core technical pillars of a project. They work closely with other disciplines to realise their ideas through iterative agile UI development and are not afraid to dive into hands-on work when necessary.
We trust our Lead UI Programmers with a large degree of autonomy throughout the development cycle, and they put the needs of their team over their own. They are capable leaders who can keep their team of programmers motivated, providing effective coaching, feedback, and opportunities for growth along the way. They regularly work with the title’s leadership team to solve project-level issues and represent their discipline effectively both internally as well as to external partners.
- Strong leadership skills, an enthusiastic attitude and team-first mentality; you give effective direction and feedback to your team, and nurture professional growth in your team.
- Proven technical UI leadership experience; you’ve set a clear technical direction, intent and best practices for at least one commercial project and led a UI team from concept through to ship and support.
- Experience setting up pipelines and project documentation; you can see the big picture and you know what’s needed to align your team to be able to deliver to the standard required.
- Expert knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience.
- Practical UI implementation knowledge; you have worked with UI Design teams to overcome technical limitations, you can break down UI designs into core components with reusability and engineering patterns in mind.
- Proven time management and organisational skills; you can plan your project at both roadmap and sprint-level and know how to prioritise your team’s work for maximum impact.
- Comfortable working autonomously; you can get the job done without close supervision and make smart decisions with the information at hand.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; you’re able to present ideas clearly and confidently to audiences of all experience levels.
- A real passion for games UI and clear enthusiasm for playing games
Bonus Points for:
- Previous experience as a Lead role in game development.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 and Unreal Motion Graphics (UMG)
- Experience with accommodating a variety of player accessibility needs.
- Multi-platform and console development experience.
- Experience with localisation pipelines.
- Demonstrable appreciation of usability conventions in relation to UI.
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.