Build amazing experiences in Halo Infinite, connect players across platforms in Minecraft, unleash your creativity on original IP or think strategy with Magic: The Gathering Arena. SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our current projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, and original title, Stela. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200 engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
SkyBox Labs is looking for a hands-on, passionate and high-performing Technical Director to join our studio. We’re looking for a collaborative leader who can provide solutions to complex problems and help define the road-map to deliver amazing gaming experiences. This person will work alongside our talented engineering and production team to achieve our project goals and help us ship industry-leading games.
We’re looking for someone who has an in-depth understanding of the games industry and game development as a whole to direct and oversee an exciting project at SkyBox Labs. Collaboration is key in this role as this person will proactively identify bottlenecks, execute solutions and increase efficiency throughout the project.
- Oversee project dependencies, both internal and external, ensuring contingency plans are in place; recommend solutions and validate plans and timelines; and understand the overall impact on all stakeholders involved
- Take ownership of technical milestones and minimize bottlenecks
- Deliver on key milestones and articulate creative solutions to technical problems
- Proactively mentor and provide hands on coding solutions to help solve complex problems or blockers together with the team
- Drive our culture of knowledge sharing and learning by mentoring, hosting talks and Learning Lunches
- Collaborate effectively with multiple disciplines within the studio including Production and Studio Leadership
- Partner with our HR/Talent Acquisition team to hire top engineering talent
- Previous experience in leading large and high performing teams of 30-80 people
- Experience shipping multiple AA or AAA game titles with an extensive understanding of game development
- Experience working on PC and/or console games
- A creative thinker with advanced problem-solving skills, who can apply their experience from previous challenging situations and adapt to their environment
- Leads by example to motivate and guide their team to achieve great results
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic and fluid work environment
- Strong leadership skills and a passion for teaching and mentoring others
A Culture of Empowerment, Collaboration and Personal Growth
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth. We employ a flat structure where all team members are heard, respected and trusted. We encourage knowledge sharing and personal growth through our many Lunch & Learns and frequent feedback. This culture is underscored by our strong commitment to work-life balance.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow a 200 person studio while cultivating an inclusive grassroots culture. We value our team members’ various backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and this is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, potluck club, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Learn more about us at our website.
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.