(Closed) Head of Live Operations
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a booming mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with access to fun and fair competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make esports accessible to anyone, anywhere.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 20,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host billions of casual esports tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
Last year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who We’re Looking For
An expert leader to guide improvements and enhancements for the diverse range of games on the Skillz platform. The Head of Live Operations will own incremental revenue generation, regularly updating both individual game features and system wide offers to drive retention and monetization.
What You’ll Do
- Manage a world-class Live Ops team and program designed to drive heightened monetization and deep retention of mobile gaming players across the network of game environments on the Skillz platform
- Responsible for all operations within the Live Ops team, ensuring the analytical and operational functions of the team are accurately projecting and achieving aspirational KPI targets
- Collect and analyze game data to provide insight into how to optimize the Skillz system and games; maintain a deep understanding of the full revenue funnel and ability to accurately project downstream impact of those changes
- Work closely with our Player Communications team to optimize Skillz engagement marketing, enhancing our understanding of player personas and incentivization
- Partner with the Product Development team to develop new Live Ops tools and features to enable an ever-improving experience for both Skillz players and our developer partners
- Build out a diverse team of first class analysts able to embed in pods for our top games and work across system wide, programmatic Live Ops.
- 8+ years experience in live ops, product management, analytics, consulting, or related field
- 5+ years of direct people management
- 3+ years experience in gaming; mobile and publishing preferred, but not required
- Excellent communication skills, analytical ability, and attention to detail
- Ability to organize complex, years-long projects and workstreams into manageable timelines with achievable deliverables
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to respond to feedback and implement ideas in a rapidly changing startup environment
- Highly inspirational leader, irrespective of reporting lines
- Ability to provide clear direction and give insight on industry trends
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.