Head of Live Operations
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we’re looking for:
An expert leader to guide improvements and enhancements for the diverse range of games on the Skillz platform. The Head of Live Operations will own incremental revenue generation, regularly updating both individual game features and system wide offers to drive retention and monetization.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a world-class Live Ops team and program designed to drive heightened monetization and deep retention of mobile gaming players across the network of game environments on the Skillz platform
- Responsible for all operations within the Live Ops team, ensuring the analytical and operational functions of the team are accurately projecting and achieving aspirational KPI targets
- Collect and analyze game data to provide insight into how to optimize the Skillz system and games; maintain a deep understanding of the full revenue funnel and ability to accurately project downstream impact of those changes
- Work closely with our Player Communications team to optimize Skillz engagement marketing, enhancing our understanding of player personas and incentivization
- Partner with the Product Development team to develop new Live Ops tools and features to enable an ever-improving experience for both Skillz players and our developer partners
- Build out a diverse team of first class analysts able to embed in pods for our top games and work across system wide, programmatic Live Ops.
- 8+ years experience in live ops, product management, analytics, consulting, or related field
- 5+ years of direct people management
- 3+ years experience in gaming; mobile and publishing preferred, but not required
- Excellent communication skills, analytical ability, and attention to detail
- Ability to organize complex, years-long projects and workstreams into manageable timelines with achievable deliverables
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to respond to feedback and implement ideas in a rapidly changing startup environment
- Highly inspirational leader, irrespective of reporting lines
- Ability to provide clear direction and give insight on industry trends
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.