Engineering Manager, Backend
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we’re looking for:
Skillz Fullstack engineering builds the tech that empowers Game Developers, Streamers, and the wider Skillz team to build, spectate, and optimize fair and fun competitions for millions of players. We’re actively changing the future of competitive gaming, and this mission keeps us raising the bar for our product, our tech, and our teams.
Creating and building the future of gaming isn’t easy, but our team tends to thrive on this level of complexity and responsibility. When we come across a difficult problem or need to master new technologies, we work together as a team to rise to the challenge. We take pride in being able to plan, estimate, and deliver complex tasks on time, and consider our work a reflection of ourselves.
Does this sound exciting? Do you want to push yourself to new heights? If you’re bored when you’re not being challenged, then we want to meet you!
What you'll do:
- Manage a team of diverse engineers, driving career and skill growth, coordinating onboarding and development workflows.
- Build out the Fullstack and Mobile group of our Portland Engineering hub, cultivating Skillz Engineering culture and dedication to excellence.
- Take ownership of staffing out both Mobile and Fullstack engineering teams in the Portland office, leading Skillz’ Client Apps team expansion in PDX.
- Connect with the wider Portland engineering community, building relationships while representing and helping to raise the profile of Skillz.
- Support your teams in estimating, planning, implementing, and deploying large features and releases.
- Work with the team to help them identify and implement iterative improvements to our systems and products.
- Facilitate and participate in technology and architecture design discussions, guiding your team in goal setting and planning best practices.
- Work with a variety of powerful front end technologies and languages, staying on the cutting edge.
- 8+ years of professional software experience in web, mobile, or client applications.
- You have successfully managed a team of 5+ engineers for 4+ years.
- You have successfully hired, built and developed a stable team of 5+ engineers.
- Strong desire to learn and use new languages and technologies.
- Experience planning, implementing and deploying large team projects.
- Strong organizational, and written communication skills.
- Startup experience strongly preferred
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.